Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

It's Not Easy Being You

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited April 2019 in THE MAIN WALL

It's Not Easy Being You

When you are doing a job, how do you find the best prices for products? Do you go to the same supplier or do you get quotes from a few suppliers?

Read the full story here

GroundUp

Comments

• Smitdy
    Smitdy Member Posts: 21
    Options
    If the yacht belongs to a business owner in Rhode Island, then it's owned by the same guy who owns Delta mechanical. I worked for the many years ago. I also heard a story about him selling the company to an energy conglomerate for something like 20 million dollars and then buying it back for half that price.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,536
    Options
    All the above is true. What works in one location is a disaster elseware.

I had a supply house when I was in business that priced all there pipe and fittings using the "Bradford Book" Bradford book was out of New Hampshire but have since been bought out by Trade Service. So I had a subscription to the Bradford Book. I could do my estimating at night with the book. The supply house told me what discounts to use for copper, black etc. so I would get the job 90% estimated and then just call and get the equipment prices etc. Worked out well. I am sure it's all computerized by now.

So I used those #s I could by it cheaper but gave that supply house enough business to keep them happy
    Intplm.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,962
    Options
    @EBEBRATT-Ed I sure do miss those bradford price book days. That nice black leather two spiral price book.
    Your post ^^^above^^^ also reminds me of doing heat loss calculations by hand. No computer.👈
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    We have Allpricer which is a book and Winpricer which is web based. All of our suppliers supply us with the discount to the list pricing in the two above which are the same outfit. It is available across Canada. Only specialty items such as boiler or commercial tanks do we shop. We also have negotiated special pricing from certain manufacturers and importers.
    Intplm.