Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Standard Propane Boiler vs Wall Hung?

Dunk
Dunk Member Posts: 7
I've received a few quotes and the products are all over the map. How do I determine which are the best products?

If I want to purchase a combi heat and water, does a Weil-McLain (GV90+) offer water? How does it compare with IBC wall hung high efficiency unit? One is rated at 95 the other at 92. In reality, how much savings will I see between the two?

Also any advice on my purchasing the unit vs the contractor. It seems contractors like to add a hefty upcharge. It is a nice gig if you can get it but I'm not too keen on paying significantly more for the same unit. If I can find a contractor to install a unit I buy (unsure about this), what certification should I look for to make certain the installer can actually install a gas boiler meeting all quality standards?

Finally, any propane boiler brands I should focus on - or avoid?

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    The Weil-Mclain GV 90 is not a combi unit. You would need an indirect with it. Excellent choice in my opinion. The IBC is a good choice if your looking for a wall hung combi unit.
    Make sure you have adequate baseboard and or radiant heat to get the maximum benefit from it.
    As far as purchasing a unit, I would not install a unit purchased by another. To many headaches come with it.
    As far as brands, your installer is the most important portion to the mix. Most of us install what we have good history with and like. Find a good installer and ask him what he recommends and why...
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    First of all the contractor you choose is the MOST important part of the decision.

No legitimate contractor can stay in business installing boilers bought by the consumer....bad idea...and most legitimate contractors will not do it. Contractors can't stay in business just getting paid for labor.

I am sure you can find a handyman....a buddy...or someone to install it and you will absolutely end up with a job that wont ever work right.

Doing this work isn't rocket science but it is all about attention to detail. The pages of this site are littered with homeowners who unknowingly did the wrong thing unintentionally.

They bought their own boiler or took the cheapest price...whatever then they come here looking for help any we try and help them out

@Dunk , I see you falling into this trap.

The contractor is more important than the boiler.

92-94-95% means nothing when the job is wrong.

As for me I vote for a standard gas fired boiler. Weil Mclain and Peerless would be a good choice

Others on this site will choose a high efficiency boiler. To me they haven't proven themselves over the long haul and parts price and availability is a big issue for me as well as finding someone to work on it

You can drive a Mercedes or a Chevy. Not to many Mercedes mechanics but most could fix a Chevy....then their are the parts cost.. But that's just my opinion.

Others have good reasons for choosing mod con high efficiency boilers and that can be justified as well
  • Dunk
    Much appreciated feedback. For a 1900-2000 sq foot home, what size Weil-McLain unit makes sense? We live in Vermont. How might I calculate the annual cost savings between my current AO Smith (23 yrs old) which is probably 80ish efficiency vs a W-M GV90+ or IBC H Series?

We have a on-demand Takagi wall unit that supplies our hot water. It’s about 6 yrs old. Any idea the longevity of these units?
  • Dunk
    I should add we have one radiant zone that runs off of the Takagi unit (140 sq ft) that also provides our home hot water.

Three other zones: one that is 400 sq ft, the other two zones are 1000 sq ft. The main living zone has a Nest thermostat. Any concerns using the Nest with a Weil-McLain GV90+ or IBC HC Series.

How would you rate:

IBC
    Weil-McClain
    Buderus
    Rinnai

One contractor likes Rinnai. Thoughts?

What is the recommended cleaning interval for the above? Is a more conventional W-M less costly in maintenance?
  • Brewbeer
    Brewbeer Member Posts: 616
    The amount of radiation you have IMO should be a factor in deciding between models of various efficiencies.
    Hydronics inspired homeowner with self-designed high efficiency low temperature baseboard system and professionally installed mod-con boiler with indirect DHW. My system design thread: http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/154385
    System Photo: https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/FileUpload/79/451e1f19a1e5b345e0951fbe1ff6ca.jpg
  • Dunk
    Takegi vs Rinnai for wall hung propane boiler? I’m getting different recommendations. IBC has been recommended too.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    Takagi is not a boiler
  • Dunk
    Takagi is only used for hot water? Does Rinnai offer a combi sufficient for a 2000 sq ft home with 2 full baths? Or, am I better to use an IBC HC Series?
  • Dunk
    Takagi has a maximum flow rate of 6.6 GPM at 35°F temperature rise (4.3 GPM at 70°F rise)
    Primary heat exchanger utilizes HRS35 commercial-grade copper alloy “for 25 times better heat transfer than stainless steel” - is this true?
    Secondary heat exchanger utilizes 316L stainless steel for better corrosion resistance
  • Dunk
    I’ve received three quotes for IBC and one for a Takagi. Regarding these manufacturers, any recommendations?