Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

new oil piping that leaks

BryanEnnist_2
BryanEnnist_2 Member Posts: 2
We have noticed in the last year that we are getting numerous leaks on new oil piping. One thing we noticed is that the pipe threads, especially the factory made threads on nipples seem to run all the way into the fitting. We have tried different sealants. Has anyone else had an issue with leaking oil lines lately?

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    edited April 2019
    I hope you do not have pipe nipples that had been made in China. I had a similar issue years ago, but since then have not had this happen. ( The fittings were made in China, Threads made by me.) Seems some imported threads didn't match.

Where are you purchasing the nipples, and fittings? Have you asked them about this?

What type of thread sealant have you used?

And have you tried the Blue Monster tape? I have had a lot of success with it. Read the directions and try it out. It works great.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Do NOT use any Teflon tape/Blue Monster on oil lines it is not allowed code rules

I think it is a stupid code rule because tape works well on oil and if applied properly there is no issue.

So, the quality of the fittings is in question Chinesium is bad stuff. And make sure whatever dope you use is OK for fuel oil. Most are but read the can. Gasoilia is one and then just crank them up tight
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Numerous leaks sounds like a bad job.
    No sealant needed on flare fittings. If they leak they weren't made properly, and/or tightened properly (could've over tightened them and cracked them).
    For regular nipples if they have to be run all the way in, they are junk like @Intplm. mentioned. With proper sealant, no teflon, and proper installation, you shouldn't have any leaks.
    Show us some pictures
    steve
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @STEVEusaPA

Maybe a Tiger Loop will fix it? hehehe
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    edited April 2019
    @EBEBRATT-Ed I am using it monster blue because I couldn't get anything else to work under similar circumstances. Code or not. Stupid code requirement but so is the oil leaks.
    PS whos looking🙂

I know I always am.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506

@STEVEusaPA

Maybe a Tiger Loop will fix it? hehehe

Never seen one stop a leak, but I’m surprised the OP wasn’t getting nuisance lockouts.

steve
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Agree you should probably use a different supplier for your fittings.
    Where is the oil tank in relation to the burner?
    Are pipe compound brands somewhat regional? I've always liked Mega Lock. Good seal and it doesn't seize.
    I despise the inventor of Leak Lock.
    Intplm.