Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

in the **** department, i am having trouble finding a copper press/propress sink stop WUWT?

archibald tuttle
archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,085
thanks, brian

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,880
    I do not believe they offer one. You are looking for a 1/2" press by 3/8" compression angle or straight stop ? Is that correct? I took a look in the VIega catalogue to see if that is a new item offered. I didn't see one. Only pex.
    I don't know what "WUWT" is.
  • archibald tuttle
    edited April 2019
    WUWT = what's up with that?

you are correct that veiga doesn't make one. my distributor has a line on one, don't know manyfacturer. I may have it early next week. but i can't even find an echo of this fitting online easily. you restrict your searches to "cooper press" or "propress" stops and still you get sharks, compression but none of what you're looking for.

i can't understand why this would be such a hard to find fitting. I get that not everyone would carry their press tool in for a limited sink repair but I can't believe there isn't a call for them. There is no piping system i'm aware of that does not offer stop connections. There is a good shark approach but i don't as much like using sharks where there is not rigid secured piping on either side. the only failure of any push connect fitting i ever had was in such an unrestrained situation. fortunately it was an unfinished basement and was caught with a couple hours.

I don't have any reason to suspect that such failures are a common concern but when i'm coming off the end of existing copper to a flexible riser, i would much prefer cooper press to a shark. of course i could press on a male pipe fitting and use a wrench to install a stop in that, but unless i have no further stub of copper left for a future replacement all this work seems to defeat the very purpose of simplicity and efficiency that the press system is meant to provide.

the tech i talked to at veiga said there must not be demand so that is why they don't make it, but, if they never made it, how do they know. i will credit veiga with making 3/8" pex stops which are particularly obscure compared to 1/2" copper press, i would think. but i don't buy that there is not a market for copper press stops.

when i get the ones i ordered i will advise what brand they are and if they seem of good quality. in the meantime, i was just on here wondering if i am too retentive or this is a whole in the veiga (and most other) lines of press fittings that others have noticed.

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    Everflow makes a press angle stop...although I rarely have room under the sink for the tool.
  • archibald tuttle
    edited April 2019
    got it. will check everflow catalogue if such exists and maybe that is where my distributor got them. (they say i will be getting both straight and angle).

I have heard this problem of room under the sink, but at least with the straight format tool, even the larger 18V that kind of thing doesn't seem like a problem to me. ironically, way easier for straight stops than angle. angle stops you need distance to the cabinet wall rather than coming from the open front and that is a little more of a challenge with the 18V at 16.8" long (that's specs, i'm not sure if that includes the battery) but the 12V which is senisble for under sink work is 12.6" with a much narrower profile at the bottom and yet no added length with battery installed because of the battery format so that seems pretty rational although i get that crimping angle stops where the stubs are in the center of a small, e.g., 18", vanity might still be unmanageable, but if the stubs are higher or lower in the cabinet you can put the tool pointing more up or down to get length. nothing is perfect. I just can't imagine not having these fittings readily available even if they aren't the biggest sellers and i have to pay more based on higher unit cost (hope my wholesaler is not reading this). In the cases where they are desirable, they are desirable . . .

ironcially, when i first looked at these tools i thought that pistol style looked more compact and efficient but i began by luck of the draw using a milwaukee 18V straight tool and realized quickly that this long straight and compact in other dimensions format was very helpful for access in many cases, in fact easier than my veiga hand press tools because on those you have to be able to spread the handles. But I don't see veiga not making pex press for under the sink because there isn't room. and milwaukee, i later noticed, has a clever way of overlaying the picture of their tool over a silhouette of the competing pistol style and they aren't much longer.

thanks again for heads up on manufacturer.

brian
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,880
    @archibald tuttle I'm glad you asked this question. It has been one of my questions for some time now.
    With press tools getting smaller. Manufacturers are going to need to offer this as a choice in there copper press line up.
    The tools do fit in tight spaces. If we make our rough-in measurements to help fit the tool in or not. I believe the demand for this press valve needs to be addressed.
    Thanks for drawing attention to this. I hope it helps get more choices for this valve to be offered
  • AJCimino
    AJCimino Member Posts: 28
    Why not just solder a Brass Craft?
  • archibald tuttle
    intplm,

glad to know i'm not the only one who sees this as an issue.

AJCimino

of course i could solder on a new valve, but i'm just looking for the capability to cut back existing lines and quickly without drying lines or putting fire close to wall or cabinet floor and removing only those items in the way of the placement of the tool press on a new valve. this is just what i have a presstool for for in the first place.
  • AJCimino
    AJCimino Member Posts: 28
    archibald tuttle,
    I have press tool too, but sometimes the gyrations needed to use it become cumbersome. I should have mentioned that a Brass Craft compression valve is an option and readily available. Pressing a valve under a cabinet will make replacing that valve when it fails (and it will) a very daunting project. Like all things, tools have their limitations.
    delta T
  • archibald tuttle
    aj,

i totally agree that press isn't a panacea but only should be a possiblity for these situations, in the quintessential having a 'hammer' doesn't make every problem a 'nail' fashion. I don't at all dismiss your point that there are other options to consider that might be better in any given circumstance. in every case of 1/2" copper stubs you are going to make a call between shark, solder, press and compression (And, for that matter pressing or soldering a male adapter and using an IPS stop).

A lot depends on how much of stub you have and whether there is the length to cut back for a subsequent valve install or two. Some forethought on that subject reflects thinking of the 'next guy', but you can't overdo it as eventually the piping or configuration is as likely to be changed in a decade as the valve itself. Decision might also depends on how accessible piping is for replacement in future.

And not every application is actually in a cabinet. In this case, i am actually in the basement below a dishwasher with a hodgepodge of fittings poorly soldered past a ball valve which itself is poorly solder into a 'main' in a three story house with no isolation and hose clamped tubing finishing the whole mess off. When the arrangement was described to me over the phone, I thought they were confusing the supply and drain. No such luck.

The ball valve solder joints aren't pretty but they aren't actually leaking right now whereas one downstream is. It was clearly soldered wet as the solder is pasted on and the leak is one of those steam during soldering traces that had just enough flux and junk in it to hold for a month so owner thought he had fixed it. And I have nothing but space for the tool, so it isn't a question of dragging everything out of cupboard just to prove i can fit the tool in. Rather it's a case, as occasionally with icemaker line or similar take off's where the flex line starts in the basement and goes through the floor to service the appliance. It is just the exact circumstance where a close quarters pipe cutter and a press fitting would have me out of there in 5 minutes.

Ironically, the other option is a delta adapter, but they don't make those in press either, although that would be a less weighty investment in inventory providing a plausible alternative connection in these circumstances downstream of a standard ball valve.

thanks for your points.

brian
  • archibald tuttle
    Danny Scully,

thanks again for the tip on everflow. these guys are, i think, first movers. Now a new WUWT. these fittings have a double seal but you only crimp the outer one according to inscructions. unless its a thicker o ring, i don't know what the inner one does because you don't get a seal without crimping, you get a leak . . . but i'll have these in my hand early this afternoon and i'll know that they are everflow's at that point (looks like from catalogue that everflow has or maybe always was merged with JW which is the import line at supplyhouse.com. I have to hand it to my local supplier when they can outflank that kind of operation where everyone just 'looks' at me over the telephone like I asked if they have unicorns or something). I think i'm the first one to purchase from my wholesaler, they just got them. (of course I was also the last one to purchase loose Veiga sleeves as I found out they were going to stop offering them. So I went in to lay up a few years worth of supply while I waited for that to sort itself out - thank you sioux chief. I offered not to buy everything they had and they didn't believe me that they wouldn't get more.)

http://everflowsupplies.com/announcements/press-chrome-plated-stop-valve-now-available

http://everflowsupplies.com/dynamic/adm/files/Press Installation Guide.pdf
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    I thought **** means, wonderful thats fantastic.
    Intplm.
  • archibald tuttle
    uncle john,
    of course it does, i was rejoicing that my wholesaler actually had the foresight to order the everflow valves and have them on hand so i could do this job tomorrow.