Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

no heat call

John Mills_5
John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
Friend wanted me to look at a no heat on a house with a boiler. Vacant, being worked on. Go to a late model Series 2 and hear water running. Look at the tridicator. 50 psi. Wow. Looked at the yellow handled ball valve in the picture. WIDE OPEN. I shut it, in a minute down below 20 psi so I fired it up. Both loops heated up, all baseboard getting hot. Wonder how long it had been running like that? They'll know by water and gas bill!

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,945
    Where did all of that water go ?
    Grallert
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    Exactly what I would like to know. Out the relief valve I guess
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited March 2019
    LUCKY ......Sounds like relief went to a sewer line.

Mine was aimed at floor, only got a 5 gal bucket when I noticed OLD relief started weeping. But my fill valves are kept off, I want to know what it's doing.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    There doesn't appear to be a back flow preventer in the system or at least not in the picture.
    Was the relief actually working???
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Relief piped to crawl space, very wet down there :) Most don't use backflow preventers around here, Jobs rarely inspected. We do.
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited April 2019
    Relief to sewer ....... thinking about it that wouldn't be such a great idea if it blew on hot & pressure....... while you were sitting...... answering the call of nature.