Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Stuck Cartridge

Tom_133
Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
Hey All,

I am looking at a job that needs 19- Moen 1222B cartridges removed and replaced. Typically its no big deal, you fight if they are stuck until you win. This is a quote job that if they all come out well, I win, if they dont, I dont.

Any suggestions, or tricks to make this go smoother? I have the removal tool but as most here already know thats 50/50, and the centers pop out quite often on older units, these cartridges have been in for 30 years on city water.

Hoping someone knows "the trick".

Thanks in advance Tom
Tom
Montpelier Vt

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    The rubber is swollen against the shower valve body ?
    After exercising the cartridge back and forth use a pair of needle nose vise grips. If it comes apart when doing that. Use the vise grips again.
    After that if it still stays in , spray some lube on it and pull it out.
    Screw extractor and some heat if you can heat it up without damaging it if all else fails.
    Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    new cartridges sometimes include a removal tool. A white plastic piece with a square end. It engages to the cartridge to spin it around and free it up. It should then pull out.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Intplm.
    @Tom_133 sometimes if the things I mentioned above do not work. I have used a lag screw to extract the piece that breaks off in the valve body. I use it like a screw or pipe extractor.

A long lag screw with a slightly larger diameter than the hole left behind in the broken cartridge can help a lot to screw in a good grip on the broken cartridge. You get the lag screw in there, than you can usually pull and pry it out.
  • Tom_133
    I’ve done quite a few in my life and have been successful but don’t want to fail and regret taking on such a headache. Was hoping for tricks that may help to loosen them up before pulling on them perhaps heating the outside of the valve slightly first or something like that. I did find a cool extraction tool out of Utah that I may buy.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Intplm.
    Well. Try to do the other things that I mentioned.
    And I agree. The last thing that you want to do is heat the valve.
    I have had a lot of luck using a lag screw as mentioned above.
    That's the way that has worked for over the years.

@Tom_133 Whats the tool in utah ??
  • Tom_133
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Intplm.
    That tool looks worth a try.
    I have had luck doing the things mentioned above but am always looking for a better way.

Thanks for sharing.

@Tony_23 I think anyone of , or all of these combined methods should do "the trick."

Please post back here and let us no how things work out.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Just don't yank too hard or you will break it loose from it's mounting in the wall.
    That tool looks like a great idea, like a bearing puller, no need to tug on the cartridge. It looks well made also.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Tom_133
    Yeah thats what I was thinking, well built and with an impact it may walk most of them out nicely. If I take on the job I will report back.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
    Intplm.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    when they get stuck it's no fun. I got a bad one last year, took 45 mins to pull it out, 100 pieces it seemed.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Intplm.
    @GW You got that right. They can be a big lousy mess.
    I have tried just about everything to remove them when they go to pieces inside the valve body. The old brass ones seem to stay together but the plastic ones are a real problem. I have tried everything but what @Tom_133 might use with that tool he found.
    I'm not a big fan of Moen shower valves anyway.
    I prefer Symmons and Kohler. They are great shower valves. They repair real well. Have very good tech support, on the rare occasion that you need them.
    GW
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Mine was a Delta (plastic), my own rental property so it was only partially painful
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Intplm.
    I don't mind delta shower valves. Have had them on a few of my rentals too.
    Delta is my third choice. Kohler is in the middle. Symmons Is first. There shower valves have been the best valve I have ever worked with.
    If I get fed up with repairing a certain type of shower valve I will change it to a symmons with confidence.
  • woodrow
    woodrow Member Posts: 40
    pasco makes a less expensive puller its red it has a spring loaded ball on it that fits inside the cartridge if the center pulls out i have used it in the past and works but like others have said i use my regular moen puller and rotate it a few times before putting presure on it 9 times out of ten it goes good