Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

System 2000 Fuel Filter Cross-Reference

chparkjr
chparkjr Member Posts: 5
edited March 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
Today is Sunday, and I desperately needed a replacement spin-on fuel filter for my System 2000 EK-1.
All of the plumbing supply houses and fuel oil dealers were closed, and none of the home center stores near me stocked them. And there's no way I was going to spend $150 or more on a service call for a new filter.
I started searching with Google, but kept coming up empty. I found an old post on this site, but the one filter mentioned wasn't available.
So I started searching using the specs of the filter and found a suitable replacement that is intended for Cummins diesels, and is available in many auto parts stores.
The list, starting with the OEM filter:
Energy Kinetics 10-0933
Napa 3109
Wix 33109
Fram P3528A
Hastings FF945
Baldwin BF957
Donaldson P550105
Fleetguard FF105
Luber-Finer LFF5
Carquest 86109

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited March 2019
    How did you determine you “desperately” needed a filter?

Even though the spin on is standard the EK requires some special knowledge and you shouldn’t be working on it without the proper tools and skill.

Put the old one back on. Hopefully you can properly bleed it and it will work until tomorrow.
    steve
    chparkjr
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,882
    Been there done that. Now, and since then, I always have an extra ready just in case.
    chparkjr
  • STEVEusaPA
    Been there done what? You’re also a homeowner who took a filter cartridge off your own system and didn’t have a spare?
    My guess is the burner wasn’t running. HO started taking things apart, damaged the filter. Oops. If there was no flow and the filter actually completely plugged, that filter was in there way too long, and there are probably other things that need attention.
    Should’ve called someone first instead of trying to save some money.
    steve
    SuperTechchparkjr
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    Get yourself a few Garber R filters. You will need to bleed a lot of air out of the pump. Don't stop until you have an air free oil flow.
    Intplm.
  • brnrman1
    brnrman1 Member Posts: 32
    The Garber R is the correct filter. The list of filters you found for the Automotive industry do not specify the Epoxy coating. The long term protection from corrosion may be an issue and the filter could leak. I would recommend changing the automotive type to the residential type filter. We are now using the Garber Filter as a standard option for the Smart Filter.

"Mitch"
    Energy Kinetics
    "Mitch"
    Roger Mitchell
    Senior Technical Representative
    Energy Kinetics
    Erin Holohan Haskellchparkjr
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,882

Been there done what? You’re also a homeowner who took a filter cartridge off your own system and didn’t have a spare?
    My guess is the burner wasn’t running. HO started taking things apart, damaged the filter. Oops. If there was no flow and the filter actually completely plugged, that filter was in there way too long, and there are probably other things that need attention.
    Should’ve called someone first instead of trying to save some money.

Uuh. You're quoting the wrong post in the wrong context. I was only trying to suggest that the op have extras on hand. And that we all make mistakes. Coming to this sight will hopefully help so those who make those mistakes will not make them again.
  • STEVEusaPA
    Intplm. said:

Uuh. You're quoting the wrong post in the wrong context. I was only trying to suggest that the op have extras on hand. And that we all make mistakes. Coming to this sight will hopefully help so those who make those mistakes will not make them again.

No, I was responding to the right post in the right context.
    Your sage advice is to have one on hand before you remove the old one? And most people don't know this?

The OP wanted to save money by trying to do something he had no knowledge or experience. That's his right and his prerogative.
    I responded to him the same way I would if someone called my company with the same issue. Actually I responded nicer.
    Trying to help I asked "...How did you determine you “desperately” needed a filter?..."
    That's the crux of the issue anyway. If he has a clogged oil line, a new filter is worthless, right?

It's probably moot anyway as the OP didn't come back.

steve
    Intplm.Jellis
  • chparkjr

How did you determine you “desperately” needed a filter?

Even though the spin on is standard the EK requires some special knowledge and you shouldn’t be working on it without the proper tools and skill.

Put the old one back on. Hopefully you can properly bleed it and it will work until tomorrow.

You must be incredibly fit, what with all the jumping to conclusions that you do. :)
    I needed a filter because mine was clogged, starving the pump and burner, preventing the furnace from running.
  • chparkjr
    edited April 2019
    SuperTech said:

Get yourself a few Garber R filters.

The 2605, or the G25?
  • chparkjr
    brnrman1 said:

The Garber R is the correct filter.

The 2605, or the G25?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Big box stores dont carry spin ons?
    If it was clogged a month ago, it must be really clogged now. What's the vacuum reading?
    Intplm.
  • chparkjr
    HVACNUT said:

Big box stores dont carry spin ons?

If it was clogged a month ago, it must be really clogged now. What's the vacuum reading?

Home Depot by me only had the filter packaged together with the filter housing for $35
    I don't remember the reading, but the vacuum gauge was at the red line.
    I changed the filter that day because I found the Carquest 86109 diesel fuel filter at the auto parts store.