Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Onix

Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
Does anyone use the onix tube from watts for radiant anymore?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    What advantages do you see with it?
    Flexibility was one strong selling point. The original Entran was very soft and flexible. It was a nice tube for remodel and renovation work, no expansion issues, quiet, easily threaded in tight places.
    All the layers added over the years have made it not as supple, more $$ and less conductive to heat transfer, it seems.

It is still haunted by sludge concerns?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    edited March 2019
    I just worked again on a Staple up system w/ Onix yesterday.
    This is a system I have power flushed added a Caleffi air/dirt/ magnetic separator and added a Non ferrous extrol tank. Furthermore I cleaned the system w/ Fernox, flushed it out and added a good amount of inhibitor.... Still had a issue after just 3 months. I was surprised by the amount of crud in the water.
    I am at the crossroads of whether to rip it all out and either do baseboard or radiant staple up w/ barrier pex…. so no.... no thanks.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    One of my largest and elaborate residential systems that I tend to has a whole lot of Onix in-floor radiation. Have already had to abandon a couple of loops on the manifold (no flow) because...the system was looking a lot like the pictures hot_rod submitted. Onix...just...NO. Its "haunted."
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    I was just curious because my wife wants to add radiant to rest of house. ( one section at a time. I did a job with onix with no complaints.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    No complaints as of yet. It typically takes 5-10 years depending on the job. I feel bad for the jobs I used onix, hopefully they call me to fix it, I will give them the best deal out of shame.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Use PAP or PEX with an O2 barrier. That is the problem with EPDM rubber tubing....no oxygen barrier and lots of problems with rust/sludge.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!