Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

certification for low-pressure boilers (NYC)

Hi all,

I'm the de facto manager for a 24-unit coop building in Brooklyn. One of our residents heard that anyone touching the boiler (the super, me) should have a certificate to operate a boiler, given by New York City. I'm wondering if this is true.

Our boiler is a Federal FST-40 running on #2 heating oil, controlled by a Heat Timer EPU-CH panel, running below 2 lbs. of pressure, single-pipe steam. I see that boilers that aren't fully automatic require a certificate to operate. Our Heat Timer classifies ours as fully automatic, no? Does anyone know if this kind of certificate is required in NYC?

Thanks,
Eric
Single-pipe steam | 24 apartment, self-managed coop | Federal FST-40 Scotch Marine boiler | Carlin 701CRD burner | Heat Timer EPU-CH | Honeywell pressuretrols | Heating oil #2 (20% bio)

ImYoungxD

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Heat timer doesn't make it automatic.

In most locations low pressure steam does not require any licensing for a boiler operator....but NYC someone from their will have to respond.

Your boiler system would be considered automatic
    eappleton
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited February 2019
    Maybe @JohnNY can comment on this.
    There is probably a requirement for annual inspections.
    A low pressure gauge, (0-3 psi.) would verify your pressure.—NBC
    eappleton
  • MJW
    MJW Member Posts: 7
    This seems to be a NYC required certification for low pressure burners (that require pre-heating?), no?
    I'd think most burners on low pressure steam boilers in Multifamily buildings are automatic...
    ?
    eappleton
  • eappleton
    eappleton Member Posts: 111
    I forgot to mention that our burner is a Carlin 701CRD.

EBEBRATT-Ed - What makes our burner automatic if not the heat timer?

MJW - Yeah, I also read it that way, that the certification is for burners that required pre-heating (I thought we have gotten rid of #6?).

I'm still wondering if there is another certification required for automatic boilers.
    Single-pipe steam | 24 apartment, self-managed coop | Federal FST-40 Scotch Marine boiler | Carlin 701CRD burner | Heat Timer EPU-CH | Honeywell pressuretrols | Heating oil #2 (20% bio)

• eappleton
    I spoke to a FDNY inspector who confirmed that there is no certificate required for operating our boiler. The certification above was for burners using #6 fuel which required pre-heating. Hopefully, there aren't too many of those left. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

• MoeJay2019
    MoeJay2019 Member Posts: 1
    I am a super at a residential building , and I have been googling for months for a school that trains you for low pressure boiler repairs and maintenance and found none. The P-99 FDNY certificate is for old style manual oil preheating boiler system, everything is automatic right now, but you still need some sort of a training to work on the new system when they break down.
  • eappleton
    We would also be interested in a training like that, if it existed. Let us know if you hear anything. :)

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @eappleton & @MoeJay2019
    Check with your local trade schools and community colleges.

Up in MA where I am their is the "Peterson School" in the Boston area. Goggle them. Maybe you could contact them for a school in your area.
    Also @TimMcelwain conducts gas classes and boiler training
  • eappleton
    @MoeJay2019 Are you in NYC? I found the following list of trainers, but the trainings mostly seem like an overview, especially when related to energy efficiency. 32BJ has a few courses on heating, but they have a few prerequisites (electricity, air pollution) that I don't think I want to go through.

32BJ Training Fund
    training.32bjfunds.com

Association for Energy Affordability (AEA)
    aea.us.org/education

CUNY Building Performance Lab (BPL)
    cunybpl.org/training

NYC Retrofit Accelerator Hands-On Training
    NYCRetrofitTraining.eventbrite.com