Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Top of Tank fuel line install-help/verify

Options
Bob518_802
Bob518_802 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2019 in Oil Heating
My bottom of tank valve is broken, can I pull from top of tank with one line, vs two lines as I have seen in the past?

Admittedly I broke the bottom valve either when trying to get built up ice from under tank or when I over tightened or stripped it yesterday as I was trying to figure out why I wasn’t getting any fuel.

Comments

• Bob518_802
    Options
    My tank isn’t a permanent install, we fill it ourselves. The closest permanent installation will need a TigerLoop, as it is at least a hundred feet away, and down grade... and due to changing regulations needs to be jacked up and have a slab installed, unless I just pour cement around legs... (but this is not something that I am looking to do before spring) in addition to the TigerLoop I was thinking of having a way to fill the line manually from the high point down to the tank to make priming easier?)
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    The tank needs a proper slab. Pouring concrete around the legs is not to code.
    Why not just replace the valve and keep the gravity feed?
    steve
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    You can pull from the top of the tank with 1 pipe or 2 pipe depends on how much lift you have. The suction & return line if used must be absolutely tight. You get the lines tight you don't need a priming tee.

Keep the line (both of them) 3" off the bottom.

Or use vacuum cleaner (soot master) to pull a vacuum on the oil tank and change the valve at the bottom. You probably need a professional for this.

Two pipe is always better...right @STEVEusaPA LOL

STEVEusaPA
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited March 2019
    Options

Two pipe is always better...right @STEVEusaPA LOL

Of course, if you remove the bypass plug, plug the return port on the pump, and cap off the return line :)

Ed, I hope we get to bump into each other one day...either at Hershey this Spring or NYC steam palooza in August

steve
  • Bob518_802
    Options
    Thanks for the information, we have been filling our own fuel oil/off road diesel for about three-four years, I started with a 55 gallon drum that I got from someone with an old junk monitor heater, then I upgraded to a 265 fuel oil tank, nothing up to code. And both on deck of old restaurant buildings second floor (old restaurant is almost like a split level ranch. The front of the building is level with the street. And the back deck is close to the level with second floor. So the current tank is gravity fed and only about 10 feet front the fuel tank to the furnace.
    The permanent tank near the front of the building will be properly upgraded this coming spring/summer... after this recent experience... (remembering that experience isn’t always when you get what you wanted!)
    The plus side will be that I will look back on this, and I will have learned quite a bit, which will come in handy in the future as I work to make things better at camp.