Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Recirculation water off delay timer and remote control

Options
Hi everyone,

I am trying to improve the way that I use my water and circulation pump.

Basically, I need an outlet (like a smart outlet), that I could plug my circulation water pump. Using a remote control (not a smart phone, as I don't want to depend of a smart phone) I could turn this outlet on, that would start the circulation pump. This outlet should be on for a few minutes (ideally 3, but it is ok if more) and turn off automatically. My idea is to have multiples remote control in the showers and kitchen.

In my house, it takes around 2 minutes for the recirculation water pump to bring hot water to the faucet.

Has someone seen something like that? I found http://waterheatertimer.org/Recirculation-off-delay-timer.html, but I would need to build it, and I am not sure if I can do that.

Comments

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I don't know how much access you have , but I have run a couple of systems where I installed push buttons at the farthest fixtures that get used a lot, and wired it to a timer that runs the pump for a specified time. This works good it you can get the wire pulled, and the switches installed.
    I know there are wireless devices you can use, but just not sure what one would work for what you need. Most of the ones I see are only rated for light bulbs.
    Rick
  • rikmonteiro
    rikmonteiro Member Posts: 20
    Options
    HI Rick,

I have been using a smart wireless device for my Recirculation water and it is working fine, but I still thinking I could a better job and start it only on demand. Can you show me how to install these push buttons? Could I have more than one button controlling the outlet/device?
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    I just used doorbell buttons and thermostat wire ran to each location I wanted to have them. Just wire the switches in parallel. That way, any button will turn the pump on. I am not sure how to put any kind of wiring diagram on here, but it is pretty straightforward to wire. Thermostat wires from button activates a relay, which turns on a timer, which turns on the pump for whatever time you set the timer for. In your case, since it takes two minutes to get the lines hot, then just set it for two or three minutes.
    Rick