Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lochinvar Knight boiler that sometimes makes a loud singular BANG, upon firing up

akmichael
akmichael Member Posts: 3
Hello All,
I have a Lochinvar Knight boiler that sometimes makes a loud singular BANG, upon firing up.
It is very similar with the thread from aksteveex from March 2017 in Gas Heating. Ironman had the most helpful information so far.
I too, am in Southcentral Alaska. Our contractor is very knowledgeable, and was her last month for the annual (thorough) cleaning and service. When I described what we hear from time to time, he thought it was from the silt we get in the area. In my opinion that is not the case now, as we have had a constant snowcover since before he cleaned it.
Some might question from the other thread about zone valves. The noise I have heard is during firing. Sometimes it will go weeks or months, but happened twice yesterday, and once this morning.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I will call our service folks tomorrow, and ask them, but seeing if others might have a solution.
Thank you.

Comments

• DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Will need to check incoming gas pressure, steady state and operating pressures.
    Clean heat exchanger.
    Need combustion analysis done, and set to factory recommendation.
    Check igniter
    Confirm intake and exhaust piping is correct, no blockage with snow.
    All or any of these can cause the delay in ignition which is what you are experiencing.
    D
  • akmichael
    Thank you for the reply.
    The first thing we check is the intake and exhaust, after a service call last year for no heat.
    The service was completed 11/27/18.
    Cleaned heat exchanger. Replaced igniter and flame sensor.
    Going to check the other items you suggested.
    Thank you.
  • DZoro
    Make sure they have a combustion analyzer and bring it.
    If they don't have or know how to use/set up with it find someone who does.
    D
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    What part of South Central are you located in? If you are near Kenai, I would contact Whites plumbing. They know there stuff! If you are more south of Kenai, It might be in my area and I can check it out.
    It sounds like a delayed ignition problem, which might be an ignitor that is not sitting quite right.
    Rick
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Looks like you describe delayed ignition. Check electrodes settings they are probably off. Or better replace them. Check at what speed it is set up to ignite. Usually 40-50% for these boilers. Check gas pressure and gas to air ratio. Check venting for restriction.
  • akmichael
    Thank you, All!
    We had a different tech from the same company come out. Did a great job. The new electrodes had been spaced too wide. Fixed the problem for about a month, now the pre-ignition is back.
  • DZoro
    LP gas? What was the gas pressure at static and run pressure?
    If it is LP, regulator on the house and or at the tank could be frozen, can pour some hot water on them while tapping them with a screw driver handle.
    Did he do a combustion analysis?
    D
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    Gid the lectrodes move out of a
    gennady said:

Looks like you describe delayed ignition. Check electrodes settings they are probably off. Or better replace them. Check at what speed it is set up to ignite. Usually 40-50% for these boilers. Check gas pressure and gas to air ratio. Check venting for restriction.

akmichael said:

Thank you, All!
    We had a different tech from the same company come out. Did a great job. The new electrodes had been spaced too wide. Fixed the problem for about a month, now the pre-ignition is back.

The electrodes might have moved out of adjustment. Have them come back if the problem has returned.