Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Intermittent failure to start

I have a Beckett AFG burner with a Beckett transfomer and a Honeywell R7284 control unit. I have been getting intermittent ignition failure lockouts (on Honeywell display) for the past two years. Had the system serviced 12 months ago. The tech did a spark check across the transformer spring leads (strong white arc) and cleaned the nozzle and electrodes. But the problem remained. I replaced the filters myself this fall. Now to my workaround: When it locks out, I hold the reset on the controller and when I hear the relay close, I can get it to fire by slamming my hand 3-4 times on the transformer cover. This happens daily; sometimes twice a day. The transformer is 2-3 years old. I have new electrodes and the gap tool (never tried to replace or adjust them myself) but was wondering if this might be more related to getting a new transformer installed despite seeing a strong (4-inch) arc when the tech tested? Can a transformer be intermittent (broken winding) or even thermally intermittent?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    If you have to bang on the transformer or ignitor (don't know which one you have), then something is wrong. Maybe as simple as some loose wires. Maybe the primary isn't sending clean voltage to the ignitor/transformer.

Ignitors are electronic and can do all kinds of crazy things when subjected to too much heat, or improper ground.
    The can be checked with a meter, depending on which ignitor/transformer, based on their manufacturer's instructions.

If you're getting a steady, clean 120v to the ignitor, then it may just be easier to replace the ignitor and see if it solves your problem.
    Better would be to have a competent tech do it and properly check all the components, because it could also be something else, like the motor. I wouldn't start pulling out the nozzle assemble and trying it yourself. If you don't put it back correctly, you'll make it much worse.

Arc test isn't always a definitive test especially for electronic ignitors. And what you think is a 'strong arc' may not really be that strong. Some can be checked with ohms, some can be removed and bench tested for micro amps...
    steve
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    When you say " to get it to fire" do you mean to get the burner motor to run or is the motor running and to get it to ignite you are slamming the top of the burner???
  • Jellis
    Jellis Member Posts: 228
    what happens when you reset it without beating the poor thing?
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    If you have the R7284U primary control make sure it is set up for interrupted spark if you are using an electronic igniter, which I believe you are using since you stated it was a Beckett. I don't believe they make actual big heavy transformers but I see Beckett electronic igniters every day. The new electronic igniters don't seem to last as long if used with intermittent ignition.

My armchair diagnosis is a faulty electronic igniter. I recommend a new Beckett electronic igniter part number 51771 I believe. Make sure the primary control is set up for interrupted ignition, go to the configuration menu and select spark during run - no. if you need help setting up the control or checking how it's configured let me know.