Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with HOT Lochinvar Fire Tube Combi boiler

LNV
LNV Member Posts: 3
We just had a Lochinvar Noble Fire Tube Combi boiler installed today and it seems to be WAY overheating. The floors are uncomfortable to stand on, and the boiler keeps recycling from 140-165 F (Outlet). Can we just turn it off by using the ON/OFF switch on the keypad until morning when we can call our plumber? We're afraid this thing is going to set the house on fire.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Why wait... call him now.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    OOH BOY, yes just turn the power off. When your plumber comes back have he needs to set up the boiler properly.
    This step is VERY IMPORTANT.
    1- Set up proper water temps for your system
    2- Outdoor reset control temperatures (according to his heat loss calculations and water temps used during the calculations)
    3- The following numbers all must be left with you and inside the boiler.
    * Gas pressure static
    * Gas pressure 100% firing rate
    * CO High fire and CO Low fire
    * O2 High fire and O2 Low fire
    * CO2 High fire and CO2 Low fire
    * Flame current High fire and Low fire
    Note your piping should look very similar to the piping pictures inside the installation manual.
    All this needs do be correct for a long lasting boiler install.
    D
    In_New_England
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    It is fairly easy to go into that control and adjust the temperature down.

I agree the installer should perform all the start up procedures outlined in the manual, including adjusting temperatures and outdoor reset function.

They should also go over maintenance and operation procedures with you.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • flat_twin
    flat_twin Member Posts: 350
    edited February 2019
    What was your previous boiler? Is it possible the plumber didn't install the outdoor temperature sensor or program outdoor reset?
    It might be in your best interest to read the manual, ask questions here, educate yourself so you can make adjustments and fine tune the boiler to your house over the course of a heating season or two. It's not that hard but it requires spending time in the house observing how the boiler reacts to various outdoor conditions. That makes you the best candidate for the job unless your boiler tech moves in with you or visits often.
  • LNV
    Thank you all for your comments. The technician was here this morning. His assistant didn't wire it correctly, and the technician didn't double check his work. We're very lucky we have a stone floor, not a wooden or tile floor. There would have been many $0000's worth of damage. He didn't give us a manual. I'm assuming I can download one from Lochinvar's website?
  • hot_rod
    Good that they came back, did they go over the operation details with you?

Regardless, download the operation manual at the lochinvar site, and get familiar with some of the settings and info that you can view on the control screen. You might have more questions for them.

The boiler has plenty of protection devices to prevent a meltdown and a short burst of high temperature supply to your floors should not cause any damage.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    kcopp
  • LNV
    He told us never to be afraid of just turning the boiler off, and to call his company anytime we had questions—but he didn't really go into detail on how to operate it. He did mention that there are protective features built in, and that it shuts itself off at 200 degrees. Luckily, this place has stone floors. He said if we had wood floors, or tile, the sustained high temperatures (between 145-165 for at least nine hour until he arrived this a.m.) could have warped the floor or stripped tiles. I've downloaded the boiler installation manual from the website. Is this the same as the operations manual? Sorry for the dumb question. This is all new to me.
  • hot_rod
    Yes, same manual.
    Not knowing your comfort level with making adjustments on the control?
    I would at least read the control section, a lot can be learned in the view menu without changing settings.

Knowing how to adjust settings for example would allow you to dial in the outdoor reset function and really fine tune comfort and efficiency.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA