Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

EK systems or Burnham MPO or Peerless?

Options
Esther
Esther Member Posts: 2
Hi there, I'm a newbie to all of this, just a homeowner trying to decide what to replace our gas water heater and boiler with. Both were not up to code, and our water heater just kicked the bucket. First plumber tried to sell us a Navien, but I like my long hot showers, and I want my boiler to last many years. Split-level ranch, fin tube baseboard heat, three zones basement, main living areas and bedrooms. Current 30 year old gas boiler on its last legs but actually still performing fairly well, but there might be an exhaust issue and it is not up to code. Have an estimate for EK-1 system, then a stackable Combi EK system, and a Peerless system. Don't even understand if the EK-1 system is an older version of the EK 2000 that everyone talks about on here? And how does the stackable Accent EK system compared to other options as far as efficiency? Should I just go with the more traditional non condensing boiler with indirect water heater route? I don't think anyone's done a heat loss calculation, have one more company coming on Friday, we'll see what they do. Getting overwhelmed with the choices and understanding the differences. Rudimentary understanding, limited budget, non-handy husband, help! I appreciate any clarifications, advice, I know many different systems could work. I was told that bc we have an older baseboard fin tube heating setup, that we wouldn't get the most out of high efficiency systems. Does that include the EK 2000?

Comments

• Esther
    Esther Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Forgot to say that our system is currently rented out of the chimney.
  • JoeHNJ
    JoeHNJ Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi Esther,
    If you email me at jharazim@energykinetics.com I would be glad to try to help clarify you choices.
    Joe Harazim
    Technical Support
    ENERGY KINETICS
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    Long run go w a standard cast iron atmospheric boiler and a standard gas hot water heater lower maintaince ease of service and no proirity parts or controls .as for indirect w water quality from my view getting no better the extra money spent on a indirect is not worth the possible need for cleaning in a few years . Better off w the throw away standard hot water heaters cheap on both ends . This is my thought for those who don’t have a bundle to spend and then a few years later do it again go w a cast iron boiler get your chimney lined if need be and a standard hot water heater kiss best bang for your buck w in my minds eye the possible lowest on going maintaince as compared to wall hungs and combi units keeping it simple stupid my new mantra peace and good luckclammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    I vote for the EK boilers due to the reliability and efficiency of the boilers.