Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant baseboard heat in garage -- Pipes burst -- will the water keep running?

We just bought our home this past summer and have no experience owning a home with a boiler and radiant baseboard heat. The garage is rigged up for heat, but it wasn't working during the polar vortex last week. Now we have two burst pipes out there. My question is this. Will the water continue to drip out as it is now or will it eventually stop? We don't really need heat out there. So if we let all the water just come out of the pipes, is there any reason to do anything else? I'm assuming we have to shut off that zone and we believe we have done so. Just want to make sure there's not some other thing we'd have to do.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Every zone has 2 pipes going to it.
    One pipe maybe controlled by a zone valve.
    The other pipe may have a valve in the basement.

You might have only one pipe shut off and it is possible that there is a slug of ice in the pipes that is holding back the water but also slowly melting away.

Post pictures of your boiler including zone valves and other manual valves. Back up for pictures.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    Should you care about resale value, it'll be a good idea to isolate and drain it before the rest of it is junk too. You'll want to check pressure in the boiler as well and assure it's not suffering from the loss in the garage. I must ask though, who doesn't want a warm garage?
    Brewbeer
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Also the zone valve for the garage zone or circulator may be open---running--calling the boiler on to run for a zone it can't heat. You should have a tech disconnect the controls or at least look at it