Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bad circulator pump

kalphonse
kalphonse Member Posts: 4
I recently had my boiler serviced as I do every year. I asked technician to bleed the lines because there was gushing noise when heat kicked on. He initially replaced circulator gaskets and explained that was where air was leaking into lines. He then replaced feeder and drain valve and bled the lines. The following day I had no heat. Another technician bleed the lines again and replaced approved head. Two days later, no heat again. Third technician replaced taco circulator. Everything seemed to be fine before they came to service the boiler and now i am left with a heafty bill. Are these parts coincidental? Could the first technician done something wrong to cause the circulator to break? I would like to challenge this bill but I need a little more information to back me up.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    > @kalphonse said:
    > I recently had my boiler serviced as I do every year. I asked technician to bleed the lines because there was gushing noise when heat kicked on.

Is there more than one circulator?

He initially replaced circulator gaskets and explained that was where air was leaking into lines.

Man I hope theres a copy of that report. That would be cool to see if there was any pressure on the boiler.

He then replaced feeder and drain valve and bled the lines.

Drain valve or relief valve?

The following day I had no heat. Another technician bleed the lines again and replaced approved head.

Approved head? What's that?

Two days later, no heat again. Third technician replaced taco circulator. Everything seemed to be fine before they came to service the boiler and now i am left with a heafty bill.

Well everything wasn't exactly fine before service. You heard gushing.

Are these parts coincidental? Could the first technician done something wrong to cause the circulator to break? I would like to challenge this bill but I need a little more information to back me up.
    > Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Cant really say if the circulator was bad or the zone(s) was not properly purged of air. You know the circulator was working before service so you'd expect it to work after but stranger things have happened.
    Is there any means of air elimination on the boiler or do you have a steel barrel expansion tank in the ceiling?
    Did anyone address the air issues other than circ gaskets?
    At the very least they should work with you on the bill.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    It's kinda hard to give you an answer without seeing it for myself.

However, I never heard of circulator gaskets allowing air to leak into a system.

If your initial complaint was 'gushing noise', why replace the feeder and drain valve (drain valve or pressure relief valve)?
    Seems like they could've (should've) properly bleed the system, purged it of all air, make sure the circulator was circulating and that you didn't hear the noise anymore.

It is possible on the third call, the circulator had failed...anything is possible.

My overall opinion is it doesn't seem to track. But how do you prove it?

When you say 'no heat', was the boiler getting hot and the water wasn't circulating at all?
    steve
  • kalphonse
    They replaced the feeder and drain valve because they said they were broke. Second technician completely guessed and replaced spirovent head. The boiler was working because I had hot water, it just was not circulating through the pipes. I just find it odd the pump was working fine prior to them cleaning the boiler. It should have been a simple procedure to bleed the lines...not 3 different technicians. Is it possible the pump broke while they were replacing the gaskets?
  • CTOilHeat
    CTOilHeat Member Posts: 56
    edited February 2019
    From my experience this isn't uncommon.

Many houses have autofeeders that are in place but off. Every house in my service area with a finished basement is this way. In that case with leaking circ gaskets, air will eventually occupy the space that water has left. Something has to occupy the space.

When tech replaces the gaskets and tries to fill the system the autofeed doestn't work at all or leaks-it's been off for who knows how long. On a well? LOL. happens.

Finally gets the system filled and purges and the boiler drain leaks.

Edit to add about the circ. No idea but they break down. If it's water cooled and the water level dropped on the boiler anything can happen.
  • kalphonse
    There were no leaks around the gaskets. He replaced gasket prior to bleeding the lines. I think this whole gig is a scam and they were all clueless! So frustrated!
  • CTOilHeat
    CTOilHeat Member Posts: 56
    What did the gaskets look like? In pieces and crispy while dry but not not wet?
  • kalphonse
    They looked fine. No cracks, etc. There was no water leaks or deposits around gaskets or pump. I just have this feelj g it all went wrong when he changed out gaskets. Pump was worki g fine prior to their visit.
  • cyberdoog
    cyberdoog Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like he bled the lines because you told him too. The gushing sound may have been an indication that your circulator Pump was failing but had not yet completely failed.  A noisy pump or one that makes a clunking sound or occasionally creates a water hammer when turning on or off is a good indicator your pump is at end of life.  Vibrating pipes are also a good indication that the pump is failing.  Until the pump fails completely, it is difficult for even the best technician to diagnose. If the pump is 10-15 years old it is not unreasonable to expect it to fail.