Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

System 2000 EK1 Error Code e140

Options
mytoy95
mytoy95 Member Posts: 8
Does anyone know what error code 140 is? Thanks!

Comments

• JoeHNJ
    JoeHNJ Member Posts: 18
    edited January 2019
    Options
    The 140 flashing light is most often a “burner lockout”, although it indicates that the boiler did not come up to temperature as quickly as it should and there may be other causes. The simple test is if you need to press the burner primary control reset button, if so, it can be addressed as with any burner and you don’t need to look for further causes. Here is a link to a document and video for heating pros to troubleshoot a conventional burner lockout (this applies to oil burners in general, not just from Energy Kinetics):
    Burner Lockout Diagnostic

Burner Lockout Diagnostic Video

If the burner does not need to be reset and it is operating properly, then the boiler did not heat fast enough for some other reason. Heating usually takes 2 minutes, and if the boiler is not warm in 20 minutes, the control will determine that something is not right and it will flash the 140 light. Display Energy Manager controls will show E140 and description on the display instead of flashing a light. There’s a section here for diagnosing possible causes when the burner primary control reset button does not need to be pressed:

140 Flash Diagnostic Document
    Joe Harazim
    Technical Support
    ENERGY KINETICS
    STEVEusaPA
  • mytoy95
    Options
    Hi Joe, the boiler (6 weeks old) would not restart either with on/off on control or the burner reset. Tech came out and replaced one wire on control (May have been not done correctly on install.) and all seems to be working now. I believe He said Control was not detecting there was a flame so went into lockout. Anything else I should have them check given this is a new boiler ? I am afraid if we had been away and this happened it could have been a real issue with pipes freezing etc. thanks.
  • Jellis
    Jellis Member Posts: 228
    Options
    Sounds like he replaced your CAD cell in the burner which senses if the flame is present or not.
    it is possible that this was indeed a bad CAD Sensor, was a combustion test done on the boiler when it was installed?
  • JoeHNJ
    JoeHNJ Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Sometimes solutions are simple, and obvious. His explanation sounds reasonable to me. As for worrying about your house freezing up - any heating system, no matter who the manufacturer, can at one time or another experience mechanical issues, not to mention power supply issues. Most of today's WiFi thermostats have smart phone apps which will notify you of low home temperatures or power outages - a relatively inexpensive solution to avoiding home freeze ups.
    Joe Harazim
    Technical Support
    ENERGY KINETICS
    HVACNUT
  • mytoy95
    Options
    Thanks Joe.
  • mytoy95
    Options
    Jellis, thx I think he checked the cad sensor as first time and it was fine. I believe they did combustion test as part of install and will confirm.