Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

System 2000 settings

Damdog24
Damdog24 Member Posts: 4
Just got a system 2000 Frontier 1 and 40 gal water heater in mid November. Also filled my oil tank at the same time. Its about 45 days and have gone through 3/4 of a tank. Approximately 4 gal per day. I have 2 heat zones along with new thermostats. It has not been extremely cold and I do have the thermostats set to lower temperatures when nobody’s home. My problem is that my old boiler was burning the same amount of oil. Ive checked for leaks and everything appears fine. Is it possible that my system 2000 is not tuned or set up properly? I am going to have a technician come look at it this weekend but would like any feedback. Thank you

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    edited January 2019
    4 gallons /day may or may not be excessive. It doesn't sound that bad. What size and type of house? square footage, windows, insulation?? What state are you located in?
    kcoppnickery
  • Damdog24
    Live in NY. 2100sq ft house. Fully insulated. Outside temperature has been mid 40s most days. In my ground floor zone the thermostat goes up to 72 from 5am-9am. From 9am its set to 67 until 6pm. From 6 pm - 10pm its on 71 then at 10 pm its 68 until the morning. My upstairs zone is the same except it shuts off from 9am-6pm. The house holds temperature pretty good. My old boiler ran on the same schedule so im expecting to be able to notice some kind of difference in oil usage and it’s almost exactly the same. Also the new system is definitely not running as much as the old one. It’s very puzzling. Im pretty sure all new connections were used but could it be possible the wrong nozzle or some part is malfunctioning? Thanks again
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,829
    @Roger ?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,829
    That is no where near the fuel consumption your system should have burned.
    Somethings not set correctly.
    The installer needs to come back, do a combustion analysis, and make the necessary adjustments.
    Could be zoning, wiring, dip switches , etc.
    Post a pic of the test print out so we can see how it looks.
  • Jim Hankinson
    Jim Hankinson Member Posts: 99
    edited January 2019
    I'm sure you'll find as we eventually get out of the coldest part of the year your fuel consumption will decrease more than normal. Usage during the coldest months is usually not too far off what the old boiler used. You'll see a marked difference in the shoulder months. I live in NJ so roughly the same temps you're having and same fuel use. You'll have to wait until this time next year to make a better estimation of savings. If you're on automatic delivery you may get a phone call from the dealer to ask if you've changed suppliers.

If my system ran only for hot water I would only need a fill every two years or even less often.
    Robert O'Brien
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I don't think it's too bad. It could be a little high, and the set backs could be affecting it. I also don't think there is a component problem, and you did say the new boiler is running less. Maybe you need to purge to a zone instead of the storage tank. I guess it couldn't hurt to check it out, but I'd rather track usage more diligently before considering the equipment.

Checking my house (Philly 2700 sqft, all new windows, well insulated, split) I went from 10/15 to 12/4 50 days, 1067 DD- 171.4 gallons-3.43/gallons per day. I imagine your degree days were higher.
    Thermostats kept at 70° with indirect.

For measuring usage, it's important to measure like you measure mpg, IOW, full tank to full tank (or empty to empty). Oil tank gauge may not read 'full' after fill up. Especially if the driver delivered on high pressure, the gauge is old, etc.

So re-do calculations after next fill-up, noting gauge level after fill up, and Degree Days in between deliveries (automatic delivery, full service oil company will be tracking, or you can look up the numbers online.
    steve
  • Damdog24
    My old burner did 60 days between fill ups 240-245 gal (4gal per day) from nov-jan jan-march with a few weeks with temps in the teens and snow. I have a new gauge and its reading 1/4 tank since my fill up in mid November. Going to fill up again in a week to see if gauge is correct but I feel something is definitely wrong. Will post again after I have a tech check it out. Thanks to everyone
  • JayMcCay
    JayMcCay Member Posts: 32
    Thank you for your questions, @Damdog24 . I see that Jim Hankinson in our tech services group has posted some information.

If you'd like, please contact us with your installation date and fuel records (before 2+ years to date if available, dates and gallons for each delivery, and if it was filled or just a drop without filling the tank). Your fuel company can provide you with a summary with details so you don't have to dig through receipts. We can run an analysis using degree days from your local weather station and also coordinate with your installer to find out additional details they may have on your home.

I can be reached at (800) 323-2066.

Thank you,
    Jay McCay
    National Sales Manager
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.
    Jay McCay
    National Sales Manager
    Energy Kinetics
    908 328-7154 cell
    Erin Holohan HaskellHVACNUTDZoroSuperTech
  • Damdog24
    Thanks Jay. I have someone from my install company coming over on Monday morning. Just got the EK installed in November so hoping its just something needing and adjustment or something of that nature. Will post with updates. Thanks again
    HVACNUT
  • Jim Hankinson
    The purge zone is always the last one that was active. With the newest Digital managers and the Display managers an option called MultiPurge can be selected. This shares the remaining heat in the boiler with any zone that was active within the past 20 minutes. If it causes overheating in any zone it can be de-selected.
  • Damdog24
    Techician came to my house and did a performance check. Said everything was fine. Im going to fill up again and see what happens.
  • STEVEusaPA
    edited January 2019
    An 80's reference....
    Whatchu talkin about Willis?
    If this is an update to a previous post, you should have it moved there, or provide a link here so we know to what you are referring.

@Erin Holohan Haskell did I say that correctly (to what you are referring)? lol
    steve
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,283
    @STEVEusaPA - I think you've got it, but I prefer your 80s reference. :)

I've merged the threads. Thanks for the heads up.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Jim Hankinson
    As I posted earlier, you cannot judge fuel savings based on just less than 2 months consumption. You need at a minimum a full year's consumption, preferably 2-3.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • STEVEusaPA

As I posted earlier, you cannot judge fuel savings based on just less than 2 months consumption. You need at a minimum a full year's consumption, preferably 2-3.

Why not? You can't compare fuel consumption to Degree Days?
    steve
  • Roger
    Roger Member Posts: 329
    Thanks, @STEVEusaPA . We always like to see how the system performs in the shoulder seasons and summer where we save the most. We can run degree day analysis using data from a local weather station to normalize the results and compare for sure.
    @Damdog24 , if you have the opportunity, please PM or contact Jay or Jim with your location, installation date, and 2+ years of fuel records prior and to date if possible.
    Thank you,
    Roger
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Cackster
    Cackster Member Posts: 13
    Damdog24 said:

Techician came to my house and did a performance check. Said everything was fine. Im going to fill up again and see what happens.

Hi! I know this is an old thread but just curious what the outcome was for your situation. Thanks!