Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco circulating pump

Options
wyldbill77
wyldbill77 Member Posts: 2
Hello I have a taco 007-f5 cirulating pump and I think it needs a new cartridge but I’m not quite sure, I can hear the motor going but when I open the spigot above it no water comes out and it just continues to run even with the thermostats off. Please help as I have no heat now

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    first shut the boiler and pump off. if the pump runs dry you will damage it.
    check the water pressure in the system. if it is a one or two story house the pressure should be about 15psi look for a pressure gage on the boiler.

If you get no water out of the spigot either the valve is plugged up or you have no water pressure in the system.

Try to open the spigot and push a wire through it.

But find the pressure gage first
    rick in Alaska
  • wyldbill77
    wyldbill77 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    The pressure gage is at 9psi, and it is a 2 story house
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 234
    Options
    You can take an amp reading, nameplate amps should be around .72 If over amping by more than 1 1/2 times that it might be an air issue or cartridge failure. Also you can do a bench test on the motor. Take power away, isolate the pump from the system, undo the 4 bolts and once you have the motor away from the casing you can put power to the motor leads very briefly. If the cartridge spins right away then you know its not the cartridge. If you have any questions please call into Taco Tech Support 401-942-8000 and just ask the operator for Tech Support. We are here Mon-Fri 8am-5pm.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,834
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Where are you located and current outside temps?
    Frozen loop?
    2 story house. Is the problem with just one zone or are there zone valves or another circulator?
    Other zone(s) working?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    9 psi may not be quite enough for a two story house... it's close, you should be running 15 psi. You need to find out why you have no water coming out of the drain valve