Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Should I cold start?

Options
super_snop
super_snop Member Posts: 48
Hello everyone, I am new here. My current setup is a steel thermodynamics s series boiler with 2 zones, tankless coil, and line voltage thermostats. Soon I will no longer be using the tankless coil for domestic hot water. I'm updating the aquastat to a hydrolevel, and also installing a 2 zone taco switching relay, and low voltage wifi thermostats. I can’t make up my mind if I should cold start the boiler. I’m worried about condensation issues if I cold start it. What is everyones opinion? I have read so much mixed info. Thanks for the help :)

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Use the circulator hold off feature on the 3250 plus and you’ll be fine. Turn low limit to off.
    Make sure you properly abandon the coil. Don’t cap off both supply and return. If the coil has a pinhole leak, you’ll have to remove it and put on a blank plate, or remove it, cut it off on the inside, cap both stubs, and put it back on. Probably need a new gasket.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• super_snop
    Options
    I plan on eventually replacing the coil plate with a blank one. I am just slightly confused on the wiring for the aquastat. I was reading that the holdoff feature on the hydrolevel only applies to the circulator terminals on the Aquastat. I plan to utilize the taco controller to connect to the circulators. So the way i planned on connecting the aquastat to the taco controller is ZC To ZC, and ZR to ZR. Does anyone know if the holdoff feature will work when the controls are wired this way?
  • super_snop
    Options
    From what I can tell for a cold start application XX from the taco zone control should wire to TT on the hydrolevel. I just dont think the circulator holdoff function would work cause I will be controlling 2 seperate circulators from the Taco control. My other option would be to leave it a warm start and just back the low limit way down.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options

I plan on eventually replacing the coil plate with a blank one. I am just slightly confused on the wiring for the aquastat. I was reading that the holdoff feature on the hydrolevel only applies to the circulator terminals on the Aquastat. I plan to utilize the taco controller to connect to the circulators. So the way i planned on connecting the aquastat to the taco controller is ZC To ZC, and ZR to ZR. Does anyone know if the holdoff feature will work when the controls are wired this way?

I don’t think you can wire it that way. You want end switch from zone control to T-T on aquastat, or end switch to ZR/ZC on aquastat.
    So the circulator hold off won’t work. Best would be a mixing valve to protect the boiler.

There was an error rendering this rich post.