Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NTI Trinity to replace oil boiler

JasonNH
JasonNH Member Posts: 3
edited December 2018 in Gas Heating
I recently purchased a house with an oil-fired boiler that's around 30 years old and a hot water tank that's 4 years old. I plan on switching to natural gas in the spring. The first plumber I got a quote from recommended an NTI Trinity combi boiler. I saw a high percentage of negative reviews of these on a review site. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they any good, or are there others you'd recommend? Is there an average life expectancy of condensing boilers in general? The plumber said hopefully 20 years, but I've seen a lot of people online saying half that.

Comments

• DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Nothing wrong with a NTI, the control system parameters are a little complex. Like anything set up and installed correctly it would be a good choice. Personally I have both a NTI and a Lochinvar Noble in 2 different places, I do like the Noble better. Just more simple in controls and seems less complex easier to work on, IMO.
    Online reports are BS.
    D
    HVACNUT
  • Le John
    Le John Member Posts: 226
    I also have the Lochinvar Noble combi and I agree with @DZoro. Simple controls and a fantastic boiler. Even when it fires at 100% she sounds clean and smooth if that makes any sense.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    I know of The NTI Trinity and its ok.
    The best boiler is one that your installer knows VERY well and has installed many.
    I install the make/ Model that I am familiar with, know how to service and if there is an issue I can get back up and running in a snap.
    What part of NH are you in?
    I am in the Seacoast.
    SuperTech
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    I've had good and bad experiences with the NTI Trinity. Personally I try to avoid boilers with the Giannoni heat exchangers like the Trinity and Munchkin. I don't like the necessity of a large, high head boiler pump due to the water tube design. I would look into boilers with a fire tube heat exchanger like the ones made by Lochinvar and US boiler.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    NTI FTV is a combi that is a 10 to 1 turn down ratio and is a great price point. Simple easy to work on and has many of the same parts as the other NTI's so stocking parts its nice as well. I only do NTI for my mod cons, but thats just me.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    If you are in NH, you would be better of with a HTP made in Mass. We install and forget about them. Genoni water tube heat exchangers need a proper pipe sized for flow and NOT the connection size. 20 to 25F DT will insure a long life. We have had to replace a number of commercial firetube condensing boilers due to sedimentation on the tubes and cracks on the upper faces.
  • JasonNH
    Thanks for the replies. I'm in Manchester, NH. The installer I got the quote from says he's installed around 75 of the NTIs and has had the best luck with them vs a number of other brands. I'll look into the Lochnivar and HTPs as well.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    Jason,

As was mentioned earlier, if he is going to be your installer go with what he recommends, he's going to be the one servicing, and dealing with any warranty or issues in the future. If you are not committed to him, shop away.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
    DZoro
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    NTI makes a nice fire tube also. Make sure you ask all of your HVAC guys if they always set up their boilers with primary/secondary piping, and use a combustion analyzer and always leave the analysis with the boiler.
    D
    JasonNH
  • JasonNH
    After getting a second quote today, I'm going to go with the NTI the first installer recommended. I used them for an install at my last house and they did a decent job there. Second quote was way more expensive. Thanks again for the advice.
    DZoro
  • tiffanycollins
    tiffanycollins Member Posts: 1
    @JasonNH how did your NTI install go? How has it been running so far? Which model did you get? I'm currently considering an NTI. Thank you!