Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

non oxygen barrier tubing in heat system

I have a client that has a heating system with radiant, cast iron radiation and h-coils. The installer ran non barrier tubing to manifolds, h-coils and to the cast iron. the existing low mass mod con boiler became plugged up from the sludge produced by the cast iron and circulators, etc.. I am going to replace the boiler but am looking for solutions to the non barrier tubing issue. Some of it can be accessed and changed and some not. Is there an additive that would help reduce or eliminate the corrosion occuring? If so, flushing would be in order, so what is the best product and procedure for that? Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• username1
    username1 Member Posts: 5
    singing up was an exercise in frustration. You should not have to prove you are not a robot until your user name and password are accepted. It took over ten user names until it finally accepted one. Just saying!
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    @username1 - Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate the feedback and will look into this.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    To your question.
    They make/ rent flush cart that will use a pump to push water through a system that will loosen debris and sludge.
    You can add cleaner to this and also get more junk that was stuck to the sides of the piping and radiators.
    Fernox, Rhomar and Sentinel are a few names.

You can add inhibitors and filters to the system to keep the oxygen at bay...but this is a yearly maintenance thing.
    Its best to get that tubing out of the system.

• username1
    Erin, thank you for recognizing my gripe. It was annoying, I almost gave up. I do understand it is difficult in this day and age with all the cyber criminals and other miscreants, that you have to employ security to prevent the website from being damaged. It seems like there has to be a better way but that is not my specialty.
    Thank you for your time.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • username1
    Kcopp- thank you for your input. I was aware of the additives etc.. but not necessarily the flush cart. I have since researched and although I haven't located one to rent there are several for sale that are reasonable. I appreciate your help.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    username1 said:

Erin, thank you for recognizing my gripe. It was annoying, I almost gave up. I do understand it is difficult in this day and age with all the cyber criminals and other miscreants, that you have to employ security to prevent the website from being damaged. It seems like there has to be a better way but that is not my specialty.
    Thank you for your time.

Thanks, @username1.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    edited December 2018
    How does O2 get into a system whos pressure is above atmosphere?

I'm asking because I've heard of this but have never understood it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited December 2018
    The Oxygen is diffused through the tube wall Chris. Pressure isn’t part of the equation. Also the higher the system temp, and as oxygen gets used up by ferrous components the diffusion is accelerated. Mother Nature always wants balance.

So maybe you are thinking of air in general with pressure verses the small part of its make up 21% oxygen.
    CanuckerChrisJ