Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riello model 40 F5 nozzle

Steve27
Steve27 Member Posts: 12
While researching info on my Riello oil burner, I found the chart (shown below) in the installation manual. It shows the .75 x 60 nozzle is only used on the F3, but that's the nozzle which is in my F5 unit. Did the installer get it wrong or is the chart wrong?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    What is the Riello firing into (brand/type/model #)?
    Do you have a copy of the combustion report?

Usually on the black rim of the burner box mounting plate there is a sticker with the nozzle they bench fired and recommend.

Couple of things.
    1. It's pretty common (lazy) for a tech to not have the right nozzle.
    2. Nozzles can also be different due to the pump pressure.
    3. The recommended nozzle is a starting point. The OEM spec guide is almost always spot on, but if it's a retro fit situation, only with a full combustion testing-draft, smoke, combustion analyzer, can a tech figure out the best nozzle.
    4. That chart is initial set up for replacement burners. The documentation with the burner (if OEM) will usually show the recommended nozzle, pump pressure, turbulator & air band settings (and most important) draft.
    steve
  • Steve27
    I feel like the newbie who was just sent on a snipe hunt.

I have the "Burner Test Certificate" which shows a series of tests which were run at the factory by PG01 (whoever he/she is). They all passed, but there's no indication of the nozzle used.

I got down on my hands and knees with a magnifying light, which was required to read the sticker on the burner. Other than the serial number and burner code, all the info is generic, and again there was no nozzle information.

My theory is that the nozzle he used was intended for a Beckett system. I believe this because originally he intended to install a Beckett system for me, but due to the narrow blast tube requirement of my old York boiler, he couldn't install it. Instead he had to go with the Riello. (This all happened in real-time.)

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Are you saying he replaced a burner on your boiler with a Riello burner?

Nozzles are nozzles, and the same nozzle can be used in any burner, IF it's the correct nozzle to use.
    Now back to my original questions:

What is the Riello firing into (brand/type/model #)?
    Do you have a copy of the combustion report?

And to add, What make/model of furnace/boiler
    steve
  • Steve27
    I just found out it's called a York-Shipley "midget" boiler (it's only 70 years old).

I don't have a combustion report, the installer just noted on the bill that a few checkout procedures were run upon installation.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    How long ago was it installed? Have you had any issues? What made you go looking for nozzle information?