Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Just upgraded my oil piping - Please critique

I don't know too much about oil plumbing. I will install an equalizer where the T's are at, just did not get it done today,

Please critique or suggest improvements, as you see fit.

Comments

• Scott M_2
    Scott M_2 Member Posts: 26
    No Teflon tape on oil fittings and depending on your state fire code there should be a firomatic valve on each tank.
    SuperTech
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited December 2018
    What the F(ittings)?
    That's a whole lot of vacuum leak paths. The make 3/8"X3/8" flare fittings, straight and 90°.
    What's going on with the T at the inlet of the filter? Don't know what an 'equalizer' is supposed to be or do.
    Also by code, you should only have a firomatic on the inlet, no ball valves. Don't know why you would put one after the filter.
    I sure hope that's some kind of yellow pipe dope and not tape...tape isn't allowed by code, nor is it recommended by any manufacturer.

At least you didn't use compression fittings.
    Gonna have to give you a "A" for creativity, but a "D" because it's just about all wrong.
    steve
    SuperTech
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    edited December 2018
    totally illegal and won't work, they have to be equally drawn. the T has to be dead center in the middle of the two pipes, both tanks have to have firevalves

and now teflon tape may get in your oil pump, stick it open and at the worst burn your house down, at the least fill it with soot
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Glad you asked for a critique before putting that into service. Heed all their advice, and before putting it back into service post another pic.
    CLamb
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,138
    I agree with all of the above. I applaud you effort but you should have done more research before attempting this.

You have to try again. Use this as an opportunity to upgrade your system. You can improve your system by installing a much oil filter. Garber makes a ten micron oil filter that resembles the filter on the engine in your car. It's a nice upgrade to anything with an oil burner.
  • mellowmaximo
    mellowmaximo Member Posts: 7
    Well, ****. You could have said something before I did all that. Before pic included. I needed more filtration, just had the one one 25A before.
  • STEVEusaPA
    edited December 2018
    Ahh, now I see the 2 tanks.
    If it were me I'd replace the 2 tank valves first, then bring the sleeved copper line from each to a tee between the tanks. Id then run a short copper line to the wall and mount that filter, then a small steel nipple connected to a Garber spin-on, using the bracket from the spin on. Then copper coupling to an OSV (oil safety valve), then jacketed fuel line to the burner, with a firomatic on the burner's fuel pump. Don't forget the expansion loop. All flare fittings. Pipe dope only on threads, but not the flare connection threads.
    I like the copper coupling so I can remove the OSV and the filters easily if I ever have to blow out the line (from burner back to tank). Which you'll never have to do now that you are using double filtration.
    steve
    SuperTech
  • SuperTech
    I second the vote for double filtration. I have the small 1125A filter at my tank, spin on filter with vacuum gauge and a tiger loop at my burner. All new 1/2" plastic coated copper line. All flare fittings.
  • SuperTech
    @STEVEusaPA what is the purpose of the expansion loop? I never see them where I live, and I do a lot of oil. I've seen them on YouTube videos and I never got an explanation about them
    mellowmaximo
  • STEVEusaPA
    Where do you think it came from? Hint Hint, which state has the best (most restrictive) oil burner code.

Dragon has it in his book. I think it's just for expansion. I'm thinking ideally not having it would put stress on the fittings from movement, but I've never seen a problem. Nor have I ever seen, or been able to do this, an oil line that's perfectly straight and tight from point to point with no slack.
    steve
  • SuperTech
    I'm a big fan of the flexible oil line, although I have seen them take a beating. I don't like it when I see a lot of black iron fittings, unless it is used to make a manifold
  • STEVEusaPA
    You have to figure eventually they are going to fail. If they made them like hydraulic lines that would be nice.
    Ok-ish on a gravity job with an OSV but what about a Tiger Loop, especially on the return. The burner will probably never shut off and oil will be leaking the entire time until someone sees it, smells it, or they run out of oil.
    Of course they are handy on a swing out boiler door for cleaning, unless you hard pipe into the pump cover and leave that off until you close the boiler door and replace the strainer and gasket.
    steve