Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Interesting CO test results.... running generator in closed 2 car garage.

Leonard
Leonard Member Posts: 903
edited November 2018 in Carbon Monoxide Awareness
Preliminary Test results are : Post 73 onwards of https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182629&page=8

Basically:
200 ppm in 5 minutes
600 ppm in 20 minutes
700 ppm in 30 minutes
980 ppm in 37 minutes

I'm a bit surprised it took that long to rise.

Johnny C is running another test over weekend, and adding a test video.
Too bad these home CO detectors top out at ~999 ppm
NY_Rob

Comments

• Docfletcher
    Docfletcher Member Posts: 487
    CO detectors don't seem to detect relatively small quantities. I put one on top of my boiler overnight just to see and it detected nothing. Zero. But I still keep one in the garage and upstairs as well. :)
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506

CO detectors don't seem to detect relatively small quantities. I put one on top of my boiler overnight just to see and it detected nothing. Zero. But I still keep one in the garage and upstairs as well. :)

Was there CO present and it didn't detect any?
    steve
  • Docfletcher
    I had no reason to suspect that there was CO in the area. I just wanted to check to be sure. I thought surely it would would pick up at least little in the flue area. But no, it did not.

25 years ago we had a furnace which of course had a chimney. When we decided to go to hot water baseboard we got rid of the furnace. Looking up the metal chimney we shocked to see it plugged up with plugged up with small branch's, twigs and leaves etc. As I recall it was about 2 1/2 feet of it.
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529

CO detectors don't seem to detect relatively small quantities. I put one on top of my boiler overnight just to see and it detected nothing. Zero...

A UL-listed "CO detector?" If so, it's designed not to. A low-level CO monitor, such as this one

is what one needs for that job. I have the UL crap to satisfy code and a low-level monitor to keep us safe. In my opinion, everyone ought do the same.
    Jean-David Beyer
  • Docfletcher
    Thanks Sal that's good information. I did not know about the low level CO monitors.
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Standard CO detectors with no digital readout with current PPM levels are typically a cumulative control, as they accumulate CO they will register it and may go off from low levels after a long period of time or faster from sudden high levels, they are in a word, garbage.
    Docfletcher