Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does using Powder Coating lesson the heat coming off cast iron radiators?

Options
Has anyone seen data re powder coating verses enamel type paints?

I have read a couple of comments from Dan's "Metal paints and radiators" about colors and the history etc but there was no mention of the powder coating effect. My understanding is that powder coating is a plastic based. (Im not at all 'switched on" when it comes to powder coating ).

The system I am about to install is for a Rayburn cooker heating a closed gravity fed radiator loop within a 40 gallon H.W. Cyl.
The radiators I want to tidy up are 1950's English made IDEAL Classic Wall Rad's. (water not steam).

Cheers

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    The heat transfer from the water to the radiator casting is still the same. It’s the emissive properties of the paint, and it’s make up which can either slow, or speed up the heat transfer to the room.

Which in the end if the radiator isn’t giving up heat to the room as fast because of the coating then it does effect the heat transfer from the water to the radiator.
  • Gordy
    edited November 2018
    Options
    There is thermoset, and thermoset plastic. In my mind both are more of an insulator than regular paint.

Emissive properties are either high, or low depending on color. So in the end chose the right color the radiator may take a bit longer to heat up, but still will have the emissive properties of the color chosen.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I think at the thickness of coating you are dealing with between the two the output difference would be tiny. I've stripper radiators with what seemed like 1/4" of various paint layers.

Bare cast that has been blasted with a clear coat is a nice look.

Beware if the rads have any rubber seals between the sections powder coating cooks around 400° or more.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Gordy
    Options
    Thermoset is an epoxy resin base. More durable.