Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding Cast Iron BB to CI radiators. Help!!!

tommcgov
tommcgov Member Posts: 3
Here it goes. My current setup is old farmhouse with 3 floors ,2600sq ft home with a Wtgo-4 Weil McLain boiler.
1-zone operation with taco 007 pump.
It is a two pipe system

I would like to add some Burnham Baseray BB in two rooms that current have little to no heat.

My questions are im getting overwhelmed with making sure I use the correct size piping for ensure the most Btus as possible. Only have one wall in each room that BB can be installed.

Next, I’m pretty sure my pump is already having a hard time reaching the furthest radiator, would It be best to upsize to a taco 010 or 012 pump?

Thanks for helping out a newbie

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    edited November 2018
    > @tommcgov said:
    > Here it goes. My current setup is old farmhouse with 3 floors ,2600sq ft home with a Wtgo-4 Weil McLain boiler.
    > 1-zone operation with taco 007 pump.
    > It is a two pipe system
    >
    Two pipe system? Do you mean a split loop (2 branch loops)?

> I would like to add some Burnham Baseray BB in two rooms that current have little to no heat.
    >
    Add or replace? What's there now?

> My questions are im getting overwhelmed with making sure I use the correct size piping for ensure the most Btus as possible. Only have one wall in each room that BB can be installed.
    >
    > Next, I’m pretty sure my pump is already having a hard time reaching the furthest radiator, would It be best to upsize to a taco 010 or 012 pump?
    >
    The pump is based on the systems requirements. The pros can help you with that.

> Thanks for helping out a newbie
    >
    More info is needed.
    Did you want this to be a separate zone or add to the existing?
    Your location
    Room sizes
    Insulation
    Where is the thermostat in relation to the rooms?
    Boiler piping.
    Bleeders on the rads work?
    Pics will help.
    It wont be perfect without a heat loss calculation but with the pros here, they'll get the rooms toasty.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    If it’s a two pipe it seems more odd that the heat doesn’t reach the end of the zone. Maybe close down the “near” rads a bit to get more flow. I’m “guessing” a 007 would normally be sufficient for that size boiler.

You’re positive the valves at the far rads are wide open? Sometimes it’s impossible to tell, I’ve used my k couple clamp on temperature meter to determine the valves position when I can’t be sure.

You’re positive you don’t have air in the struggling rads?

While you’re at it I would recommend updating the 007 to a new variable speed pump. And add some isolation flanges while you have the system opened up.

Maybe consider tightening up the rooms you’re having issues with, adding heat is fine but you’re paying for that extra heat as well as the installation. CI bb isn’t cheap.

Or, possibly move the thermostat to the “cold room” and then throttle back the heat in the food rooms

Just some ideas
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Canucker
  • tommcgov
    HVACNUT
    1. I was looking to add onto existing system or willing to pipe from boiler for these two areas.
    2. i live outside philadelphia PA
    3. first room is 11x17 it is a1st floor sunroom with single pane glass (for now) on all three sides and two 40" doors into the house. No insulation at all
    :second room is 10x14 on second story has no heat but has stairwell up from circle staircase up from kitchen and has a open doorway to bedroom (which has a radiator). walls have r-13 ceiling has r-19
    4. thermostat is currently on first floor inside of one of the sunroom doors in living room
    5. boiler piping in basement black iron piping with individual branches for supply and return lines from each radiator to mains in the basement
    6. Bleeders all work, I replaced 2 isolation valves this fall and bled all radiators. we have lived in this house for 7 years and that one radiator always struggles. I could bleed cups and cups of water but until the boiler runs non stop for 30 mins or so does that actually heat up.
    7. What would you like to see pics of ?
  • tommcgov
    GW
    i have done the close down radiators on that side of the house.
    It does help but not much. Im pretty sure the valve is wide open. I do like the idea of moving the thermostat to the cold room and throttling down the other radiators.