Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Home Owner: Heating Issues

Hello everyone... I'm a new home owner. I've been searching high and low trying to gain some understanding about my heating system. I have radiant floor heating on the 1st floor and in the basement and the 2nd floor has radiators. I just want to get a little knowledge and understanding of what I am dealing with. I had a heating guy come out. He could not figure it out. He said he was do some research and get back to me. Never heard from him again. Here's the thing... in my basement I have two sets of manifolds about 20 feet from one another. Both appear to be operating. Does this mean I have two heating zones or are they just working with one another? I have one heating thermostat that controls the boiler. Whatever degree the is on will reflect on the boiler. On the first floor, the main bedroom has a wirsbo sensor. The second bedroom has a programmable thermostat that also controls the central air. Then in the 3rd bedroom which is upstairs, I have a radiator that seems to produce heat constantly no matter. Then in the 4th bedroom also upstairs, I have another baseboard radiator that isn't functioning and the nearby thermostat does not work. My first objective is to get heat into bedroom #4. Should I begin by changing the thermostat or tackle it another way? What could be the reason the radiator is not working?

Comments

• Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    If that thermostat is two wires you can disconnect them and jump them. This would remove the tstat from the equation and if it was bad you should get heat.

Pictures tell a thousand words for the other concerns
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Radiant heat operates at 100-108F water temperature. Baseboards operate at 160-180F water temperature. It means you have 2 temperature systems. Radiant system should have mixing valve, which downmix hot water to required temperature and dedicated pump. One manifold probably serves radiant floors and another serves radiators. Just giving you general principles.
    MykeWhyte
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Some pics of the boiler, and manifolds would help.
    DZoro
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    where are you located, maybe there is a pro this site could recommend near by
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt