Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wall furnace pilot light burning well but heat will not kick on

salmineo
salmineo Member Posts: 4
Hello, wondering if anyone can help me decipher what is going on here. First time trying the heat since January or February; gas company says almost 2 weeks before I can get someone out to look at it.

My pilot lights up well and the flame is not weak. Does the thermopile look damaged or is that normal?

I've read a few things about checking the electrical connections but I am confused by what I see.

The two black wires are coming from somewhere up in the left side of the furnace; on ends in that turquoise connection. The other is twisted up with that red wire which looks like one of the wires coming from the thermostat.

The white wire coming from the thermostat is twisted up with a wire that looks like its coming from thermopile, and wrapped up in blue connected to the unit. The red connection on the unit looks like another wire coming from the thermopile.

Additionally, my thermostat seems to be burning through batteries every month or so for the last few months, even throughout the year when we are not using the heat. Previously I had not needed to change them more than once a year.

Appreciate any advice, thanks.

Comments

• Jimbo_8
    Jimbo_8 Member Posts: 11
    Try by-passing the T-Stat take it off of wall put 2 wires together see if it fires if so get a new T-Stat
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Thermopile systems require different thermostats.
    Your existing one with the batteries may have worked for a time but has given up the ghost.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Try taking the blue wire nut off and touching those two wires to the bottom screw terminal where the white wire is. Do this with the pilot going. Is the gas valve in the "run" position?
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • salmineo
    Thanks everyone. I'll try these suggestions.

Regarding the thermostat, we only use it for heat, don't have AC - the way that it chews through batteries makes me think something is wrong for sure, but not sure what it could be - when I put new batteries in it seems fine other than the heat not starting.

Regarding the gas valve in the run position, not sure about that, where would I look? Nothing has changed from the last time it worked though.

I rent this apartment, it's all been fine for the previous two winters since we got here.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    How do you turn off the pilot? Or has it been lit all year?
  • salmineo
    edited November 2018
    Pilot has been off all year, I just turn the knob to Off. I guess that's what you meant by gas valve? It was set to On after I lit the pilot; that much I know how to do :)

I live in San Diego. We only generally turn the heat on for about 15 minutes when we wake up to get the chill off of the floors; its like 66 degrees in here when we wake up. By 8 am its usually colder in here than it is outside.

I haven't tried any of the suggestions yet, waiting for my landlord to return tomorrow so I can let him know before doing anything.
  • salmineo
    Clicking the two wires together worked. Replaced the thermostat. Thanks everyone.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Thanks for posting the results!

Happy Thanksgiving
  • kensys1
    kensys1 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry to revive the old thread but I was hoping someone can tell me how I can clean the burners for this type of wall heater. There is a delay in firing when I call for heat and a loud pop could be heard prior to firing