Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe threading machine selection

charliechicago
charliechicago Member Posts: 130
Hello to all,
Can anyone recommend a pipe threading manufacturer up to two inches or so?
Something quality but not top of the line. Not looking to spend a huge amount.
Thank you, Charlie.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    If you try to go cheap you'll regret it. I use a portable, automatic Rothenberger for up to 1 1/2", with US steel pipe only, and it's ok for a 1/2 dozen threads. It's not an all day, every day machine, and I think that was close to 3k.
    The Rigid for bigger jobs, and bigger pipe, all day use.
    steve
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Ridgid is top of the line. Reed and Rothenberger are ok. Anything else is likely to be junk.

These thing last a long time and quality ones like Ridgid can be rebuilt. Craigs List and E-Bay have a lot of used stuff
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    I use a REMS Amigo. 1/2" to 2" , comes with carrying case and all dies for under $2k. All our guys carry one in the van and I probably average a couple hours a week with mine, almost zero trouble with them. The Ridgid 700 I had before was a POS in comparison. Can't beat a Ridgid 300 stationary machine IMO, but in terms of affordable and portable, the REMS is the winner- hands down
  • Ever since Megapress for gas, my REMS is gathering dust.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    kcopp
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    LOL, @Alan (California Rdiant) Forbes & @GroundUp

I laughed when you posted about Rems because they are excellent tools the trouble is I forgot I owne(d) one.

I used it for years and my brother "borrowed it" Haven't seen it since. I have used the Ridgid 700 (works but too heavy)

I have a Collins (now Rothenberger) "mini Collins" which is no longer made I think uses Ridgid dies. It was barely used when I bought it on E-Bay for $200 one of my better deals.
  • charliechicago
    charliechicago Member Posts: 130
    Thank you for your answers!