Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Compressor/condenser to fit in/near through-the-wall air conditioner sleeve?

I’ve got a space with some through-the-wall air conditioners, and I’d love to do something a little nicer than that for cooling. I did a little research and I don’t think that what I’m looking for exists, but maybe someone here knows something.

Does anyone make an outdoor unit (compressor/condenser) that would fit in or work well with a through-the-wall sleeve? The sleeves are fairly standard, approximately 27"W x 16"H. It seems like most split systems have outdoor units quite a bit bigger than this. The smallest thing I’ve been able to find is NCP 4000, but at 30" x 23", it’s still a little too large.

I may be able to locate the outdoor unit inside, near the sleeve, and duct from the sleeve to the outdoor unit for supply and exhaust air. The wall opening seems like it’d be adequate for condenser exhaust airflow alone, but I don’t know if it’d be enough for exhaust and supply air together.

I can’t cut any new holes in the wall, don’t want to give up any windows for this, and don’t have any real outdoor mounting options. Based on what I’ve seen, I’m basically resigned to keeping the TTW air conditioners, but if anyone’s got any ideas for building a better system, I’d love to hear them!

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    You forgot to say

APRIL FOOLS!!!
  • superMARKet
    superMARKet Member Posts: 87
    :)

That’s what I thought too, but I’d be happy to be wrong.
  • the_donut
    the_donut Member Posts: 374
    We usually replace the whole unit. It’s difficult to find parts, cost of refrigerant and labor, and likelihood of other component failure make it cheaper long run. We’ve had luck with inexpensive ttw, filling in gap with foam and trimming unit out if sleeve is flush.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    You could also check firstco.com and see if they have any in that size. Probably best bet is having a carpenter frame one in. What A/C are you taking out? Changing the indoor coil too?
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Those dimensions sound like old G/E's. There was a place in New York that made them any size maybe NY Johnny knows. Of course oneses were very expensive.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    Back in the day about everyone made a wall mount. Now just the specialty companies.