Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

American Standard GPH

michaelheit
michaelheit Member Posts: 11
Hi
I have a American Standard GPH Hydronic boiler and I need some help.
I was working fine in the spring before the warm weather.
I did not turn off the pilot so that is not an issue.
What I did do was take out all the burner tubes and clean them. I also tried to clear the the jet hole with a small paper clip.
When i started it there was a wooshing and I yellow flame out the front.
I boiler has 8 tubes for flame and I thought they were all the same.
I think I may have been wrong.
I think i put then back in a different order. Also I have since learned that each tube has a air mixture adjustment and I may have messed this up as well.
I also was wondering If there is a tube that MUST sit next to the pilot light and is just a little different from the others.

any help and I would be grateful

michael

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Picture of the burners and pilot location would maybe help.
  • michaelheit
    OK
    I will post those tonight
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Positioning the burner with pilot assembly in its original place is important. If the crossover bars on the burners aren't aligned properly, you'll get a rough light off - delayed ignition. If you accidentally closed off the primary air shutter on a burner(s), you'll get yellow flames
    Steve Minnich
  • ch4man
    ch4man Member Posts: 296
    or the orifices are ruined when you tried to clean them with a small paperclip.

please do do that, they're soft brass and precision drilled.

sorry.
    JUGHNE
  • michaelheit
    Any chance there is too much primary air. The orifice is at least an inch way from the burner opening. The adjustment on each tube is an insert in the tube with a set screw which allows the tube insert to be pulled in and out of the tube, thus reducing the gap between the jet orifice and the tube mouth. As for the paper clip I think i was careful not to bend for alter there opening. I hope i did not ruin them. But do you think that replacements are still available if I did screw them up.
  • michaelheit
    Also does any one on the site know of a service person who is familiar with this system on Long Island NY. I would like to keep the system as I like its simplicity and that every person who has seen it seems to really like old cast iron boilers and how they were made. Also I dont have the money right now to do a replacement of the entire system.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Pictures....burners....pilot.....gas valve and regulator.
  • michaelheit
    Ok Jughne. I promise tonight
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    check find a contractor on this site. there are a few in your area
  • michaelheit
    Here are the pics

• michaelheit
    Forgot the overview image