Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Filter to Tigerloop

tightwoods
tightwoods Member Posts: 2
I am installing a Tigerloop S220. The instructions show to locate the oil filter 12" to 18" away from the TL, at the same level as the burner, and connected with a sweeping loop in the supply line (see attached). Why so close? Why does it matter? My existing supply line out of the filter runs 5' vertically upward, across 4', then back down vertically to the oil burner inlet. What issues could result with my present supply line arrangement. Thanks for your comments.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Why do you think you need a tiger loop?
    You don't have to move the filter, it's better at the tank, I think they are just saying if you have the filter near the Tiger Loop, that's how they want it. On the Ultra, the filter is attached to the bottom of the Tiger Loop.
    steve
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    edited October 2018
    I hate Tiger Loops. But, they are becoming like an on-off switch on a boiler. Every boiler needs an on-off switch, now every boiler I see has a tiger loop. Easier than troubleshooting , just put on a band aid
    rwhtg
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    If your having reset problems with the burner and a tech recommended a Tiger Loop, then you need to find a new tech.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    BTW, don't forget to install the bypass plug in your return port on the fuel pump.
    steve
  • tightwoods
    tightwoods Member Posts: 2
    EBEBRATT-Ed & HVACNUT - I'll be the first guy to admit that I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. But I can't see how your responses have anything to do with answering my question. ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @tightwoods, respectfully, your questions show you don't seem confident in what you are doing.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    edited October 2018
    @tightwoods
    You never mentioned why you were installing a Tiger Loop.
    So answering a question when we dont know the specifics would be wrong on our part.
    Like @EBEBRATT-Ed wrote, too many have installed Tiger Loops as a band-aid for a larger problem. Its almost like adding air to a leaking tire every day without actually fixing the tire.
    I have the Ultra on my own system, but it's not due to oil line problems. I installed it because my (top fed Roth) tank is over 80 ft. away from my burner and dont want the strain on my fuel pump.

A little info on why you want to add the TL will help.

And I was going to suggest using flexible braided oil lines between the TL and fuel pump but you've burned the bridge so now I'm not gonna, so THBBBBBPT!
    rwhtg