Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Recessed radiator covers?

Options
I have some recessed radiators that are missing the bottom grill. Does anyone know where I could find these pieces? I wouldn’t care much but they are not astetically pleasing.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    If you want it to match the top, you'll have to get extremely lucky. Any neighbors with similar homes remodeling?
    Are you sure there was a grill there? Do you have any pics of one?
    You could make some, like the kind people use to make radiator covers.
    steve
  • cynthia07104
    cynthia07104 Member Posts: 48
    Options
    I have others in my home that have the bottom grills so I’m almost positive they had one. I have tried eBay with no luck. I just wasn’t sure if these things were still being manufactured. I guess my best bet would be to DIY something to make it look nicer. Does anyone have any pictures of any they have done?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    Carpenter could make an enclosure. They sell various sizes of expanded metal that you can cut to make a grill. Make sure the available air opening in the grill is large enough so as not to restrict the air flow.....copy what you have on the other enclosures. Radiator covers reduce the heat out put.

You can get expanded metal at home centers, probably better hardware stores, online or at an industrial metal/steel warehouse. The warehouse will usually cut it for you for a fee
    cynthia07104
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    edited October 2018
    Options
    You can take the pic and some measurements and try a Tin Smith. They can cut, bend, shape almost anything. I would think 24 gauge minimum.
    Scratch it with coarse sandpaper to accept primer and paint.
    kcoppcynthia07104
  • cynthia07104
    cynthia07104 Member Posts: 48
    Options
    I tried looking for a tinsmith and apparently don’t have any in my state as per Google. I do have a warehouse nearby. Maybe I can figure out a way to DIY something. Thanks guys.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    > @cynthia07104 said:
    > I tried looking for a tinsmith and apparently don’t have any in my state as per Google. I do have a warehouse nearby. Maybe I can figure out a way to DIY something. Thanks guys.

Try sheet metal fabricators or ductwork.
    cynthia07104