Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

old crown boiler

jacobsond
jacobsond Member Posts: 90
Crown hot water system CXE-5 LP. Older boiler. Works great. At startup this year I do like I always do. Clean the burners and check the vent (b vent). Started up no issues. I checked vent didn't like some of the seams and rust spots. Replaced the vent. Test running now and it seems like a slight propane odor from the gas valve. Slight odor but noticeable in the basement. I would like to replace the gas valve. Im having trouble identifying a replacement. Can anyone help me out? Honeywell VR8204A 2217 or according to the manual 146-62-062. Anything else to check? The flame looks ok.
coming to you from warm and sunny ND

Comments

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,692
    whadya bump ?
    this might be serious.
    You smell gas? LP?
    get the family out of the house and call authorities, fire, or lp supplier,
    turn the tank off,
    or,
    leak detector suds on all the joints, tighten / repair as required.
    did you test run long enough to heat the vent and start a decent draft?
    further,
    get a pro in there and check combustion specs,
    You can't be doing this by eye
    known to beat dead horses
  • jacobsond
    jacobsond Member Posts: 90
    Thank you for your concern. It is hard to tell someones competence and experience over the internet. I assure you I have and will take every precaution needed. I am a 30 yr veteran on the volunteer fire department and have the gas monitors needed to make me safe at my disposal. I am also experienced in gas fired appliances working in the appliance industry for 25yrs. Currently I am general maintenance at a university in the heating and plumbing area. The crown boiler in question is about as simple as it gets. There is no air adjustments for combustion. There is a simple draft motor with B-vent connected. At startup this year I didn't like how the vent looked so I replaced it. During test fire while looking at the flame i noticed a slight propane smell around the valve. Since that is also original I figured replacement would also be in order. The flame had more yellow in it than I liked.Likely from the dust I created while replacing the vent,but as I studied the manual I'm thinking a adjustment may be in order. Since the only adjustment is the manifold pressure on the valve there we are with a 20+yr old valve again so replacement. I have ordered a Robertshaw 720-079 valve and will convert it to propane. I also ordered a Robinair gas pressure manafold 42160. I will check and adjust the pressures as needed. The boiler is out of service right now since I am still using heatpumps now for heating.
    coming to you from warm and sunny ND
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    I would suggest a leak check of the entire gas piping starting from the outside pipe to all the appliances. If the boiler is 30yrs so is your piping, valves, elbows unions.....