Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Damper on flue hot water boiler question

itzasean
itzasean Member Posts: 71
So I thought I could smell the pilot burning on my boiler when close to it and because it’s not calling for heat the damper is closed . I see a small circle open in the damper that I guess is for the pilot fumes when not I use? I lit a match and blew it out to see if the smoke would get sucked into the flu and nothing? Is this normal when the damper is shut? Also because the damper is electronic would I break anything if I manually opened it on the side with a wrench? I did see a switch on the damper that says automatic operation and hold open damper?

Comments

• coby
    coby Member Posts: 17
    leave it alone that's the way it's supposed to be. Recommend calling out a professional. They have the tools to check draft and combustion. That's my best advice to you.
  • captainco
    captainco Member Posts: 792
    Not all so called professionals have the tools or use the tools. Maybe about 20%. You must have a refrigerant reclaimer but you don't have to have a CO or Combustion meter.

The damper has an end switch that tells the burner the damper is open. You might strip the gears or linkage if you open it with a wrench.

Even when the damper is open and the boiler is not operating there may be no draft in the flue. This is dependent on the leakage of the building. If you are concerned called a smart technician to check everything for you with test equipment, not matches or eyeballs.