Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lever on B&G flow check, setting??

How is the lever on this B&G flow check supposed to be set? Which way is for bypassing and which way is for stopping "ghost flow"?

Comments

• GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    It supposed to be screwed all the way down so the weight free floats, screwed up raises it and opens the valve, it is in the correct position, from the looks of it don't touch it unless you want a bad day.
    JUGHNE
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    So turning clockwise (looking down at it) is the working position? Would the lever stem be visibly higher if it was in bypass position?

Last two years, system was either having run-away circulator control issue, or ghost flow issue. Temps were over shooting thermostat by 8 degrees. With power turned off to the circulator, hydronic baseboards were still getting hot, which brought me to suspecting ghost flow.

If this flow check is not working, I have a spring check valve I could put in it's place.
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Don't do that, replace with another flow check, sometimes they don't seat, they can get internal wear from water flow.
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    > @Patchogue Phil said:
    > So turning clockwise (looking down at it) is the working position? Would the lever stem be visibly higher if it was in bypass position?
    >

@GBart Is my surmise about my existing flow check lever correct?

Thank you for you responses.
  • ch4man
    ch4man Member Posts: 296
    yes, pay attention to the stem height, not that stupid designed knob..

its shaped like a pointer but its function is that of a hand wheel
    fully open, (stem up) set as a flow check (stem down)
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Judging by the wrenching marks, your flow check looks as if it has been opened at least once. It might be time for a complete new flow check.
    I have an installation with two 2" cast iron flow checks. They are from 1961 and still working. When I first came upon this job, they were opened and cleaned. I exercise them about once a year and the internals move freely.
    Yours may be beyond that.
    If you get a new one the annual exercise is a good idea, IMO.
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    I see no wrenching marks on that rusty lever. Maybe a mark on the hex crown? I know no one has tried to exercise it nor open it in over 20 yrs. Nor likely since 1976, when my parents bought the house. I wiped the cobwebs off it to take pictures. I tried to wiggle the lever with my fingers but it's not budging.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    By "opening it", I mean it has been taken apart for some reason to inspect or repair the guts.
    The moving part inside is moved by the pressure of the water flow. When the pump shuts off it should seat down, stopping gravity flow, (ghost flow/heating).