Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboards in the Basement (Venting / Bleeding question)

Options
Mudaero
Mudaero Member Posts: 46
Hey Gang,

I am adding some baseboard elements to my basement and had a couple questions that I was hoping could be answered. My current system has a manifold that supplies all the CI radiators on the main and second floor. I will be branching off from the Supply and Return before the manifold (so I can add a zone valve for the basement). The lines for the basement will go up to the joist then down to the baseboard radiators. There will be three, 6' elements on one single loop. I will most likely be adding a drain between the the elements (a tee with a drain valve at the bottom). Would this be sufficient for bleeding when filling? Should I have another manual bleeder at the end of the loop (or an auto air valve) before it returns to the boiler? My system has a Caleffi air separator on the supply and an air valve off the boiler currently. I'm just curious as this is the first time I've had elements that were below the boiler. I realize this is a rather generic question, so if there are any other details needed, please let me know. Many thanks.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,228
    Options
    If you can get a good amount of flow to purge the loop, really no need to add bleeders everywhere. Does your fill valve have a "fast fill" position?

Get the large air bubbles out, with a good power purge for just that loop, so you have flow, the Caleffi separator will handle all the small bubbles and any that may develop when you start increasing water temperature.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mudaero
    Mudaero Member Posts: 46
    Options
    I have a Caleffi fill valve that is set at about 13psi. Should I crank that up to the twenties to get a good power purge or will it fill correctly when I connect the lines and open the gates?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,228
    Options
    The Caleffi AutoFill is a fast fill valve, no need to crank it up, just set to the pressure you desire.

if you have 30 psi or more at the inlet, the 1/2" AutoFill will supply 5.1 gpm. That should be plenty to fill and purge the various loops or zones.

If you can isolate zones and purge one at a time, so you get good flow thru each baseboard or radiator to push the air out the purge points.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream