Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How old is my Sears water boiler?

Options
Just bought my first house and I'm trying to find out how old my water boiler is for my baseboard heating system.
Serial # 2D612
Model # 229-962362
Have not found a straight forward answer anyware on the web. I was told by someone possibly mid 60's

Comments

• richyrich12242
    richyrich12242 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Here's a pic of the tag
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Can you back it up a bit and show the boiler?
    I know Sears oil boilers were rebadged Dunkirks. Not sure about gas boilers.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,909
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I recently replaced a unit in a newly acquired rental with a very similar tag, but only 160k BTU and I figured it to be a 1971 model, that house was built in 1970 so it made sense. I was told the D means 70's and the preceding number is the year. Like mine was 1D (71) so yours being 2D might be a 1972? Don't hold me to that, it's just what I had concluded. Big suitcase looking bugger? Mine was like 5 feet long and 42" tall but only a foot thick, kinda goofy looking
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    That is a Dunkirk Model #. I believe the last digits of the model # indicates the manufacture date. I would say Feb., 1961
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Zip codes were started in 1963, that nameplate includes one.
    My guess would be at least that "new", maybe even 1-2 years newer as changing nameplate designs just for a zip code might not have been a priority.

After all every one knew where Chicago was and who Sears was. ;)