Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New boiler for home

Options
miatafrank
miatafrank Member Posts: 14
I'm a long time plumbing contractor in suburban Philadelphia. I'd like to replace the boiler in my home before the upcoming heating season. My existing American Standard boiler is an atmospheric venter from the mid sixties and last season's power outages gave me first hand experience of what it's like to be without heat. My house is an 1800 square feet two story dutch colonial with two zones of copper finned baseboard. I'd like to install a new direct vent unit that would allow for lower water temperatures should I switch some of the radiation to radiant. Also, outdoor reset control and continuous circulation seem like good options. I don't want to go ultra high efficient because of the problems I have heard but I certainly want to do better than an atmospheric vented unit. I'm prepared to move the boiler location to another wall and re-pipe extensively in the basement. It has to be a work of art when I'm done and I won't go cheap with the circulator, zone valves, automatic air vent, etc. Can anyone recommend a reliable boiler that you have a good track record with? It would get me headed in the right direction and with a sense of excitement.

Comments

• HVACguyinME
    HVACguyinME Member Posts: 25
    Options
    If you’re looking to go with multiple temps, look at the IBC SL. The control has the ability to adjust each zone for different temps, heat curve and priority. Plus, the boiler has side piping, which in my eyes, makes it easier and better looking then with all the piping coming out the bottom.
    kcopp
  • miatafrank
    Options
    Great. I'll definitely check out the IBC SL. Thanks for the help.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    Lochinvar Knight condensing gas boiler. They have wall hung or floor standing. They control does different temps for different zones.
    15 year heat exchanger. SS fire tube heat exchanger.
    New model comes with ECM primary pump.
    New model has a built in outlet for condensate pump or for drop light when servicing the boiler.
    Need to add an indirect water heater for domestic hot water.
    Lochinvar also has a Noble combi boiler with firetube SS heat exchanger does heating and hot water. Wall hung only. 10 year heat exchanger warranty.
    I sell these boilers call me at F W Webb in Allentown PA
  • miatafrank
    Options
    Bob, I appreciate your taking the time to answer my question. I have already read a lot of good about Lochinvar. I'll check their website and contact you if I decide on them. Thanks again
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    I will second the Lochinvar recommendation, great boiler, great features, I have had very few problems on the 100 or so I have installed over the years, and the problems I have had, have been dealt with with expediency and competence by both Lochinvar and my local sales rep.