Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

stubbing watts RadiantPERT out for future use

clax66
clax66 Member Posts: 2
Hi guys,
I am In the process of finishing my basement in Toronto and am trying to think ahead so I don't have to pull ceiling down if I want to add a radiator in the future. We have an outside front porch that is open to the elements right now except for the covered ceiling. It is possible that at some point in the future we may want to enclose the porch, insulate and add heat(radiator). Want I want to do is run the lines now in the basement ceiling, drill through the foundation and stub the pipes out under the porch. I will insulate around the pipes now so they aren't exposed to the elements.
The pipes will be stubbed out about 12" and capped into an unheated area until the porch is renovated. It could be a year or two before I get to that project. Once the porch is finished the tubing will be in a spray foamed area, floor and ceiling of a crawl space under the porch then brought up through the porch floor to a new rad.
I will be using what the contractor had used for all my other radiators which is 1/2" watts RadiantPERT tubing.
My question is, is this a bad idea? Any suggestions or is this not a bad idea?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    If the pipes are exposed to freezing conditions, in the event of a power outage for example, you might consider glycol in the system when that loop is connected.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EYoder
    EYoder Member Posts: 60
    I'm not sure if you're saying the stub outs will have water in or not for now.
    Interestingly, my Dad has a 1/2" pex stub full of water sticking out in the cold (plugged) and has frozen solid for 20 years now without bursting.
    Tough stuff.
  • clax66
    clax66 Member Posts: 2
    EYoder said:

I'm not sure if you're saying the stub outs will have water in or not for now.

Interestingly, my Dad has a 1/2" pex stub full of water sticking out in the cold (plugged) and has frozen solid for 20 years now without bursting.

Tough stuff.

the stub outs will not have water in them. They will be left hanging near the boiler for future hook up. Good to hear the pex is tough.