Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water oil burner question

Options
StevenKidd
StevenKidd Member Posts: 3
Hello. My first post. Let me first say that I lived in a house with steam heat for 6 years and this website was amazing in teaching me how to use and care for my steam heat. It was a great system! I just moved, and now have oil fired hot water. I searched for some info, but cannot find the answers I need.

Its a 26 year old boiler. Oil. Power vented. Originally used for hot water also, but part was shut off and an electric hot water tank installed. My question is.....its summer, and the boiler is keeping the water in the unit at 180 degrees. It also sounds as if one of the circulator pumps is running. Specifically, the one on the water return (light green part in pic, left hand side).

Can I just turn this thing off for the summer? If not, can I lower the internal water temp? If this is asked and answered elsewhere, ill gladly take that link!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,833
    Options
    Well first, is it a power vent or it just has fresh air intake?
    Trianco is now Teledyne Laars.
    You say one of the circs might be running but I only see one, and where its located indicates that there is only one zone (unless there's zone valves).
    It's a dry base steel boiler, so it's ok to shut off in summer, as long as its cleaned first, and your water heater is electric.
    That being said, it's a 26 year old dry base steel boiler and letting it go cold at its age might cause more trouble.
    If it were me, I'd start looking at a high efficiency replacement.
  • StevenKidd
    Options
    So I know very little about HVAC....but I am 99% sure the bottom vent (you can see in the pic...sheet metal pipe going into the black box.) is air intake only. There is one on top which vents out the side of the house like a gas fireplace. There are three zones..not sure if they are pumps or valves. I know they are not running / open as the pipes are not hot on the side feeing the radiators in each zone. I bought the house knowing that the boiler was prob. past its useful life, but I'd like to get another year out of it. If I dont shut it off, can I lower the water temp for the summer.
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    Yeah you can. The aquastat looks like a Honeywell L8124.
    Set
    Hi- 165
    Lo- 145
    Diff.- 10
    The boiler will limit at 145 and drop to 135 before it comes on again.
    Maintaining 135 will keep the flue gases above the dew point so they dont condense.

GBart
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Options
    Aye and when winter comes raise your high limit to 200, leave the low where it is.
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Options
    Hi to 180, it is a limit for boiler water temperature. Low 145, it is limit for circulator pump, circulator will not move water through the boiler unless boiler is heated to 145F, to prevent condensation of gases. Usually at cold start.
  • StevenKidd
    Options
    Thanks to all. I did make the adjustments this morning, but it still seems to be maintaining the 180 degrees. And to answer sonmeone elses question, it is a power vent. It has an actual fan that comes on when the burner runs and blow hot air out of the side of the house.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    I'd guess you have something either stuck on calling the boiler on or a malfunctioning aquastat.. call and get a tuneup done and while there solve the problem..
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    I've never seen a Trianco override on temp too bad. Maybe 10°. Could be a bad tridicator gauge, but like @lchmb said, get it looked at and have a tune up done with a full vac and combustion analysis.
    Ask when you call if the techs have digital analyzers and can it print a report.
    Seriously consider getting estimates on replacement.
    A lot of full service companies near me will do 0% financing for 18 months.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Normal problem with an override of temperature with that control and an extended well ... The installer does not pull the capillary line out of the back of the control enough to fully extend into the well ... When that control start to go it will under ride the temperature set point .
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    I'd just turn it off. Have a tech do the annual service, and then properly disconnect the wiring for the domestic coil heat call. The only call for heat you now need is from your house thermostat (s).
    D