Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air filter for condensing heaters/ Boilers, etc.

Chris_82
Chris_82 Member Posts: 321
I know this has been mentioned before, but this industry really needs some kind of commercial filter for these units. Anyone in a insect area, or near a windy beach or has ever worked on a Munchkin or similar knows of this issue. I'm concerned that no one has a viable filter unit that is easy to use, easy to install and easy to replace a long lasting filter for air intake supplys'. I'm looking at many Mod Cons that have had shortened life, poor performance and perhaps increased safety issues as well as deterioration of many flame / burner assembly's for more traditional equipment due to debris and foreign material ingestion. It's high time someone made something, anything, to protect our investment and reputation as well as increase the safety and efficiency our equipment. Why the manufacturers have not stepped up to meet this need is beyond me. (thanks for the rant,.....)

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Polaris water heaters included intake filters all the way back to 2005.

Keep in mind under some sever conditions that filter could require monthly, or maybe even weekly replacement to assure proper combustion and air flow. Would building owners be diligent enough to maintain intake filters? It's hard enough to get homeowners to replace furnace filters that are easily accessible.

Dusty conditions and pollen from trees would be big concerns.

I think in some cases it would be a good way to extend the equipment life.

Maybe design Y pattern filter,that would be easy for homeowners to service, or a washable type like the hydrostatic furnace filters.
    With an alarm to notify the filter needs changing.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    I thought @Harvey Ramer built something for one of his mod con installs a while back? Or am I misremembering that?
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Here is one that IBC offers....

http://ibcboiler.com/wp-content/themes/ibc/pdf/SC100A_Intake_Air_Filter.pdf

I did see one her that was a Diesel truck intake filter.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    I used a diesel truck intake air filter on a 250k btu boiler. That one was installed in a dairy operation and there was no good way to get good clean combustion air. The crap that it had been pulling in, junked the previous boiler in 5 years.

So far it has been problem free. You want a filter with a large surface area so you don't effect the combustion via filter pressure drop.
    Canucker