Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hudson Reed rads??

GW
GW Member Posts: 4,692
Gotta guy wanting a new system. He isn't thrilled with the basic panel rads (that's a 1st)

Has anyone heard of Hudson Reed? That's what he wants. If it's not agony to get these It would be nice to make him happy.
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    edited July 2018
    Wow those are expensive, .........speed's just a question of money...how fast do you want to go?

They do seem to have high ratings.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
    Looks like a digital marketing company based in the UK, I don't think it is a brand of radiators.

Depending on the "look" they want you can find some designer rads in stock in the US.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Wardo
    Wardo Member Posts: 8
    Be sure to know who is responsible for all aspects of the freight. Brokerage fees and customs duties, if any, may or may not be included in the free shipping.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    My nephew had two bathrooms remodeled and he loves his.
  • DanHolohan
    What's "expensive" is up to the customer, not us. ;-)
    Retired and loving it.
    GW
  • GBart

What's "expensive" is up to the customer, not us. ;-)

yeah, but it's funny, sometimes they don't realize the price then when they find out they don't want them as much.
  • DanHolohan
    Yes, that's also true but I don't see a need to encourage customers to think that way.

I'm reminded of a story Robert Bean told about Bob Villa in his This Old House days. Richard Trethewey was showing Bob a hydronic heating system. Bob said, "Man, that looks complicated!" Hundreds of thousands of potential buyers decided in that moment that hydronics was too complicated for them.

Sometimes, that's all it takes.
    Retired and loving it.
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    B&G's symbol breaks it down so Villa could get a firmer grasp of the concept. Fire and flow.
    Steve Minnich
    Canucker
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    One problem when anyone can get anything on line now is the markup. Lets just say a $300.00 rad shipped to the contractor. He sells in for what ever over the $300.00. He has to sell it for more then he paid because now it's his even though it's in some one else's house. [Hey that rad of your's is leaking, or that rad of yours is not heating.] When the customer gets the bill he says I could have gotten that same rad for $300.00 you charged me more your a rip off.
    GBart
  • DanHolohan
    Here's an old story that always makes me shake my head:

https://heatinghelp.com/blog/how-employees-can-cost-you-business/
    Retired and loving it.
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    I think Burnham has decorative rads like the Hudson Reed. They may be the same radiator.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120

Here's an old story that always makes me shake my head:

https://heatinghelp.com/blog/how-employees-can-cost-you-business/

We watched a Coors ad on TV tonight

"Coors beer is Colder, Cleaner, Crisper"

How exactly is it colder?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    GWkcopp
  • DanHolohan
    Colder than what?
    Retired and loving it.
  • GW
    So I emailed the guy and said what if he ordered the rads, would deduct three of four cookies per rad off of my total costs (which I didn’t really want to do but I was wanting to make him as happy as possible). He emailed me last night saying the costs were too high and he’s good to go with the basic panel rads.

Thnaks for all the comments
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    GBart
  • DanHolohan
    As @gennady once famously said, "If they can't afford it, they can't have it."
    Retired and loving it.
  • GBart
    GW said:

So I emailed the guy and said what if he ordered the rads, would deduct three of four cookies per rad off of my total costs (which I didn’t really want to do but I was wanting to make him as happy as possible). He emailed me last night saying the costs were too high and he’s good to go with the basic panel rads.

Thnaks for all the comments

imagine that, I was right -- sarcasm
  • DanHolohan
    @GBart You may have missed my point. What I'm trying to say is that a contractor should never tell a customer that he or she can't afford something. That's for the customer to decide, which. is exactly what happened here.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. Thanks for playing. - no sarcasm.
    Retired and loving it.
    GBart
  • GBart
    I agree, just speaking from experience many say they want this or that until they get the estimate, most could afford it but no one sees you driving down the road in your new fancy HVAC system, people are more willing to plunk down on a Mercedes or Vette because they will be seen, few people see the status of having a great top of the line system, it just provides all your hot and heats and cools your home 24/7 365 days a year while your Vette is collecting dust.
  • DanHolohan
    Yes. I like to talk about our five senses. They may not see the heating system, but that's okay. They don't see insulation either. If we do the job the right they won't hear it often, or loudly, and they certainly won't smell it. That's important. I've never met anyone who wanted to taste a heating system, but I learn something new every day.

Which brings us to touch. The work you do is all about how things feel. Cold or hot? Too cold? Too hot? What about the temperature of surfaces? They may not see it, but they'll surely feel it. And who doesn't want to be touched gently?

Retired and loving it.
  • GW
    When I get the question “what would you do if this was your house” that’s a signal to get top of the line into the conversation.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • AMservices
    AMservices Member Posts: 610
    > @GW said:
    > When I get the question “what would you do if this was your house” that’s a signal to get top of the line into the conversation.

Then you start talking about ripping out what's there and install a vacuum steam system and they look at you with a blank face.

That might just be my personal problem.
    GW