Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

best gas furnace in 2018?

Petey123
Petey123 Member Posts: 3
I found an old discussion from 2008 on the best gas furnace so I thought I would start another discussion. Anyone have any thoughts on the best gas furnace to replace an existing system that is 25+ years old? The system I have currently is forced hot air.

From my research it appears that most are good and issues happen more because they were installed incorrectly. Currently I am in talks with an installer that has Goodman and Lennox and I am thinking Goodman but need them to come over and give me a quote and discuss the particulars. Any thoughts on which vendor or vendors have the better reliability and value? Any optinons would be appreciated!

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    As long as it's got an ECM blower motor and if it works out with the heat loss calc, a 2 stage gas valve and thermostat.
    Not crazy about Amana/Goodman mostly because of the tin foil cabinets. Particularly the A/H's.
    Unless your looking at a Carrier Infinity system or similar furnace, most standard 90+% gas furnaces have about the same reliability IMO. And all need yearly maintenance.
    Petey123
  • Petey123
    Excellent information thanks! The system I have now is a Rheem gas furnace (forced hot air) and is about 25+ years old and since I have been in the house the last 20 years never needed a thing. Thinking about kicking the tires on my options for replacement now that the weather is nice. I did read that 2 stage is better and will look for 90%+ efficiency.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I'm not a fan of Goodman. They have always been considered an entry level quality and their reliability and noise levels/rattles have been a typical complaint.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    if you go with two stage make sure to use the proper thermostat. Not a fan of running it on timers..
    John Mills_5
  • Petey123
    Is there a vendor that stands out with folks? Just curious.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Your installing contractor is key to this.
    I prefer the Goodman 2 stage, ECM drive, lifetime H/E warranty, 10yr parts.
    I have installed the Carrier/ICP products for 20 years. 20 years ago Goodman was not top choice by far. But they have stepped up to the plate. Good product, good company, backs up their warranty. The furnace is much quieter than the big C / ICP products. In my opinion Carrier is using there name up, and throwing all their mistakes and issues on the contractor. The Goodman is installer friendly, easy contractor access to normal maintenance parts. Fully insulated cabinet on all models and no hoops to jump through if you do have a warranty issue.
    Again your contractor is the main key in this situation.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    American Standard or Trane (same thing) are solid furnaces. I have not been impressed with Goodman in the past. Maybe things have changed. Lennox is also good. Not a Carrier fan.
    delta T
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    The American Standard/Trane S9V2 is a neat furnace. Screwball return air connection though. Rheem's R96V 2 stage and the modulating R97V and R98V are excellent furnaces as well. Rheem has been in the modulating biz for 15 something years, way before anybody else.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    The installer is key here, as well as a make he would choose, which has parts availability in your area. You may not need those parts until year 2, but when you need them, you want them locally available.—NBC
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    If i need parts in year 2 i have chosen the wrong furnace