Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How Bicycles Played A Part In Heating History

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited June 2018 in THE MAIN WALL

How Bicycles Played A Part In Heating History

There was once a time when the plumbing and heating industry was threatened by bicycles.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Jackmartin
    Jackmartin Member Posts: 196
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Very interesting who would of thought a bike had anything to do with the trade. One shop I worked at had a complete compliment of tradespeople on staff, carpenters ,painters etc. The malority of the men were WW2 veterans and they were given street car tickets to go from job to job. So in all innocence ,I asked how they took material to the work site , one of the old carpenters said with toungue in cheek I am sure .Well son if you are getting on the street car with a ten foot board ,you always ask for a transfer , that way if you get kicked off , you do not have to pay for the next street car! HA HA. All the best Jack.
    Erin Holohan HaskellVoyager
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,954
    Options
    Cool. Glenn Curtiss had a tremendous amount of influence on bicycles, early motorcycles and planes. Just thought of him. Mad Dog
    Voyager
  • Voyager
    Voyager Member Posts: 394
    Options
    Unions and trade associations have fought efficiency and progress for nearly forever.
  • pell
    pell Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Ask any union plumber and/or pipe fitter there opinion of copper and mega press. If they were paid by foot they would love it.
  • bhyde
    bhyde Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Saw your article on Bike Bits feed that I subscribe to. I noted the sign at the top of the photograph appears to say ‘Brantford Massey Harris’. I was born and raised in BRANTFORD, Ontario, Canada. Massey Harris was a manufacturer of farm equipment and the largest employer in our city. The Harris family also hailed from BRANTFORD, one of that family was the internationally famous artist Lawren Harris. The company later merged with a British firm Ferguson Tractors and became Massey Ferguson. The company went into receivership in the early 1990’s
    mattmia2
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    Brought back some memories of the old places I used to work and service some where from the pre ww2 days and where huge and not many walked . They all had bikes and trikes for the mech to get around other wise it would a hour till some one returned w parts or fittings from the maintenance shop . I also still remember when they closed down the ford plant in town a year or more to dis asssemble and years of soil testing but I really remenber one contractor who I would visit to get odd ball fittings and 3 and 4 inch pipe threaded in a hurry ,there shop was full and had a assortment of bikes ,trikesand golf carts and when asked they replied that they where all from ford . They said without it would be a hour or more to go from one end to another so they hash loads of bikes and trikes w baskets otherwise everything would take for ever to get anything done . Now all those places are gone and most all have testing wells forContamination testing of groundwater and plans for either malls hotels or condos I guess the working mans work bike is just a memory . The golf carts where for the long haul I think the ford plant was over 1 1/2 miles long and Curtis Wright was like a kid lost in the mall and forget about the roof like a walk through the dawn of ac . No package units no hermitic compressors everything assembled and constructed on site the dawn of ac ,these guys where truely men Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating