Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Terra-cotta colored condensors

I assume black paint on coil fins is for better heat transfer (a little bit of coil cleaner will eat the paint, so I doubt it is for corrosion control). I know it’s only a 4% increase on the radiation side (I assume convection is dominant heat transfer mode). Besides being more visible, and possibly clashing with scenery, why not have terra-cotta colored fins on condensor coils? Has it ever been done?

Comments

• SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    Some condensing units (like Trane) are basically fully shrouded. I suppose a motivated home owner/contractor could get the sheet metal shroud (not the fins) painted/powder coated whatever color they want without affecting performance.
    GBart
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    DO NOT EVER PAINT THE COILS OR FINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had that done at a commercial customer, the unit ended up with high head., and it was not repairable.

You can take the jacket off carefully and paint that separately if you want.
  • the_donut
    the_donut Member Posts: 374
    I am just wondering out f the box, why some are painted black, or anodized instead of terra cota. Other than aesthetics.
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Depends on the manufacturer and some have an option for a factory coating to protect against salt corrosion if it will be near the shore.

Most are plain copper tubing wrapped in aluminum fins.