Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The kind of numbers good for business...see photo

Finally got a new truck.....A full size Chevy 2500 van with, and few know its available, the 2.8 L Duramax. The attached is after a full tank of City of Chicago Driving ( no burbs) and about 5,000 miles on the clock and about 7500 lbs to 8000 lbs GVW. As a $3000.00 option that includes a number of other good things, it is paying for itself in less than a year and a half. Our other 6.0L v-8 trucks get almost exactly 1/2 this mileage. The drive train on this thing is huge an Allison 8 speed trans and huge driveshaft. Got it when it was about 5F out and it only takes about 15 sec before you can start it..... now more waiting and no smoke out the tail pipe. Just as much power around town.... maybe more, than the E-250 5.4 l gas Econoline it replaced.
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    Sweet, wish they would offer that motor in a bare bones 1500 series pickup too. I bet the numbers get even better in the summer once the weather is warm.
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The 2.8 Duramax is available in the Colorado.
    I just had it out on the highway and at 70 mph it runs about 31 or so, about 27 to 28 at 65. At about 67 mph it shifts gears and goes from about 2100 rpm down to about 1500 rpm. With a little aero work to cut drag I bet it could do even better. Running empty I bet it can get closer to 35 to 40. Really amazing.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    My freightliner sprinter gets that.
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited April 2018
    Hopefully they use better steel in engines these days. And extra gears in transmission will keep engine from being stressed.

Back during the 70's arab oil embargo Chevy made a small 4 cylinder engine option to replace the V8 350 in full size Caprice cars, it got better mileage. But being smaller it was stressed harder, didn't stand up many years before it was making bad noises. Had similar 3 or 4 speed transmission as the 350.
  • The Steam Whisperer
    Yes, I heard the sprinter does that well too. It's interesting to see an older design full frame truck get that kind of mileage....its about time!
    SuperTech
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    Wow! That's impressive. I have a friend who buys/repairs/sells Sprinter vans exclusively for about the last 8 years and makes a killing on them largely due to the mileage they get, despite the junker they are otherwise. Glad to see GM stepped up to the plate and built something worth driving unlike the Transit and NV.