Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex

Options
2»

Comments

• Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,284
    Options

I believe wages are also dictated by local demographics. In some areas a hundred dollars an hour would be considered a bargain while as other areas the same man for the same hundred dollars an hour would be considered robbery. So one size doesn't necessarily fit all.

Yes. This is one of the reasons why we can't discuss specific pricing here. And discussing what one contractor charges vs. another can also lead to price fixing, which is illegal.

Let's get back on topic. Thanks!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    I agree @Stephen Minnich , and @Solid_Fuel_Man . Sometimes that cost differential isn't many miles apart.
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    We recently moved from a heavily populated, fairly affluent area, to a much more rural, and sparsely populated area. Because of the difference in rental costs, local utility rates, etc... we were able to lower our labor rates by almost 40%. We are now in the middle of the market for pricing, and are doing just fine. Just a good example or how pricing is very geographical. We only moved about 3.5 hrs away too.....

Anyways.....I was thinking about this thread yesterday, somewhere I have a picture of a system (DIY install and design) that I was asked to come assess and repair after they just bought the house. Just looked for 20 minutes, can't find the pic, but it was a solar/open wood boiler system with cast iron radiators for emitters, and shell and tube HE serving a 100 gallon tank for the DHW. This whole thing was installed with pex and sharkbite fittings. There were 4 pieces of bailing wire strategically placed to offer some kind of support for the pumps, but that was the extent of the piping support. The glycol was probably 15 years old at least (nice muddy brown color) and every single joint was leaking. EVERY ONE! I gave my bid for complete replacement, heard a couple months later, they installed forced air. Actually okay with that, I wasn't looking forward to that job.

Wish I could find the pics, it was a sight to behold....
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    edited April 2018
    Options
    When researching my new boiler 2 yrs ago, I found these photos online of a "self install" using an HTP UFT boiler and a pre-fab valve/exp tank setup with all PEX including right up to the boiler...

SuperTech
  • SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    Options
    Those look like quick connect fittings too, not something I would use permanently, especially that close to the boiler.
    Also looks like the prefab expansion tank setup is being supported by the air valve stem.
    And no downpipe on either of the PRVs.
    Ironically with those sharkbite fittings, copper wouldn't really have been much more expensive or more difficult than the PEX.
    SuperTech
  • NY_Rob
    Options
    ^ IIRC, the poster was having issues with the setup as laid out in the photos.

No way would I use Shark Bite fittings near the boiler, cast iron and copper for me. I have some (very limited) OB PEX after my zone valves, but I've been swapping that out for copper on a piecemeal basis. I'm not a big PEX fan.

When you compare the cost of a 3/4" copper elbow to a 3/4" Shark bite elbow copper wins every time, but with no soldering required... PEX is perfect for the Lego generation.
    SuperTech
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I respectfully disagree with @NY_Rob "pex is perfect for the Lego generation". Please dont try to pegeon hole, not all of the under 40 guys are the same. I've seen plenty of old guys use sharkbites and PEX....

I'm still I the category of pro-press is really a glorified sharkbite, still just an O-ring providing 100% of the seal, just a crimp vs stainless "teeth" provide the mechanical holding power.

Flame suit on for that last paragraph......
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    GroundUprick in Alaska
  • NY_Rob
    Options
    ^ well, I just looked up Lego... seems the "Lego Generation" started way back in 1949... so anyone under 69 yo is part of it.
    Maybe that's why you see "old guys" using Sharkbite and PEX? :)

PEX and crimp rings/fittings is one thing, but I would be very uncomfortable using Sharkbite on PEX for anything other than temporary use.

Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    You’ll never see THIS old guy use Sharkbite :smile:
    Steve Minnich
    Solid_Fuel_ManNY_RobSuperTech
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,907
    Options
    @NY_Rob At least that pex jumble is supported lol. Those premade panels are such an overpriced mess, but they sell a LOT of them! I bet I get 5-6 calls a year asking to come hook those up, and although I disagree with they way they're set up and what they cost, the hookup is easy money. The "D'oh!" factor when you tell the HO you could've built the same thing properly for half the price can be comical sometimes, and of course there are no returns as they are special order.

The push fittings and pro-press are of similar distaste in my mind, I have used both but I don't like either. The whole o-ring thing just doesn't sit well with me, but time will tell. I ran across a job last summer where someone had used MegaPress for rooftop galvanized gas lines across a large commercial building. It was very surprisingly straight, unlike how copper gets all wobbly when you crimp it but the fact that I could spin one of the crimped fittings around in a circle by hand was less than flattering. The owner of my company was out to ask what I thought of it, as he was considering purchasing a MegaPress setup. I showed him the joints I cut out to be replaced with threaded and he was no longer considering it.
  • Tinman
    Options
    I waited 20 years before pulling the trigger on ProPress. I have friends who've been using it all that time and they swear by it. In my limited experience with it I couldn't be happier, especially on service repairs. Its so quick and easy it ought to be illegal.

I still solder but its mostly on prefab stuff in the shop.
    Steve Minnich
    ratiodelta TRich_49SuperTech
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options

RWALDNY_RobSuperTechSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Pex shouldn't be used within 5-6 ft of the boiler. It's not designed for the high temps found at the boiler. It also doesn't support well and as the pic shows, is not representative of a craftsman who knows how to assemble a system properly. As to charging enough to make a living, that's been discussed thousands of times here and there will always be those who struggle with the real costs of doing business.
  • Gordy
    Options
    Where's the barf button. Such a shame to see state of the art surrounded by state of the cobbler......
    Larry Weingarten
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Why do we so often blame the lack of craftsmanship on the material choice? It's a poor Craftsman that blames his tools or his materials. Is somebody that has repaired 100 year old hack jobs on Steam heating systems this is not a new subject or a new complaint. And you can look back through my old posts and I ranted multiple times about how bad ProPress was. Now I have 2 ProPress tools. And a small MAPP gas cylinder last me 6 months.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    Rich_49CanuckerGordy
  • Tinman
    Options
    I believe there can be and often is a correlation between skill set and material used.

Siding contractor A does only aluminum and vinyl siding.
    Siding contractor B does does aluminum and vinyl siding PLUS Hardi cement board siding and cedar shake siding.

Roofing contractor A does asphalt shingles only.
    Roofing contractor B does asphalt shingles PLUS copper tin roofs, clay tile roofs, and cedar shake roofs.

Heating contractor A installs only radiant systems using water heaters and pex tubing for all piping.
    Heating contractor B refuses to use contractor A's methods and material, opting for a well designed system using math, proven and trusted mod con boilers, controls, piping, pumps, wire management, and piping methods that guarantee comfort and maximize energy savings.
    Steve Minnich
    SuperTechSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Gordy
    Options
    And vinyl siding will always be vinyl siding. No matter how nicely done.
    TinmanSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    lol I can do cedar shakes well. heck my father even owns a shingle mill I can run. I see no issue with properly applied vinyl as it holds up much better than poorly installed Cedar.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    Rich_49
  • Tinman
    Options
    Does that mean lunch tomorrow is off???
    Steve Minnich
    Rich_49Charlie from wmass
  • Gordy
    edited April 2018
    Options

lol I can do cedar shakes well. heck my father even owns a shingle mill I can run. I see no issue with properly applied vinyl as it holds up much better than poorly installed Cedar.

Meh, we are getting into other construction materials. I’ll disagree on vinyls longevity as siding in the aspect it looks the same color as the day it was installed. Especially darker colors. Most don’t realize the fading until they hold a new piece up to it. Durability is subjective to wood, or stone. Maintenance is the biggest pro.

My point is a copper, or black piped near boiler pipe job just looks more professional strictly my opinion. Yes pex well done looks professional too, not to be used in the near boiler piping.

If you like wood the right style home looks far more majestic in cedar, redwood, stone, bricks, or logs than any vinyl could possibly convey.

Then we could even go down the road of cast stone, stacked stone, and brick. The like of which eliminates the mason......kinda like how pex tends to eliminate the true pipe fitter, or hydronisist. Dumbing down the installation process of which seems to make it as to which anyone can do it.

I would compare the pex hard pipe debate to conduit verses Romex wiring. Both do the job, and romex can look good in the hands of the ocd electrician, but it never hardly does. I’ll take conduit any day over romex baring cost.

TinmanSuperTechGroundUpdelta T
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,907
    Options
    @Gordy That's an excellent way to put it. 100% agree with what you've said, thank you
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Lest we forget Contractor C: only installs cast iron boilers with fin tube as a "water solution" or prefers forced hot air as the "air solution". Installed with only the finest of materials!
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!